Controlling 6 Motors

I'm new to Arduino and am starting to learn my way around it for a big project at work. We are creating a surveillance and maintenance robot that requires remote control of 6 motors, 5 DC and 1 Stepper. 4 DC Motors are being used to drive the wheels, both forwards and backwards, the other DC motor is being used to wind a coil of supply hoses from the back of the robot and the Stepper motor is being used to steer all 4 wheels (via a pulley/belt system).

What is the best Arduino board to use and why (so I can write a report)? And what is the best way of controlling the 6 motors? Is it possible to control the 4 drive motors with one PWM Signal which would then cut down on the size of the board? And also what is the best way to control all of these motors remotely?

I hope someone can help!

You'll need several discrete controller boards - shields won't cut it as you'd need several and they would be trying to share the same pins.

You also need a Mega I think just for the number of pins.

You next move is to provide information about the actual motors - 1A? 50A? NEMA34 stepper or only NEMA17? Otherwise there's no way to guess which kind of motor drivers will be appropriate.

Thanks Mark, that's great!

The stepper motor will be a 1A, 5V, NEMA 23.

The 5 DC motors will be 12V, 1.3A and will have an encoder on them.

What drivers would you recommend?

bazzer_453: The stepper motor will be a 1A, 5V, NEMA 23.

The Thread stepper motor basics may be useful

...R

Thanks Robin, would the Polulu A4988 driver be the best choice for the stepper motor I have listed above?

bazzer_453: Thanks Robin, would the Polulu A4988 driver be the best choice for the stepper motor I have listed above?

It should be fine if the stepper just needs 1 amp.

...R