Controlling a compressor with arduino

Hi guys, I’m working on a project which involves controlling a vacuum compressor with an arduino.

I need to compressor to switch off once certain parameters have been met, and then switch back on after a certain time.

Can I just simply remove the existing on/off switch from the compressor and wire it directly to the arduino and output a HIGH or LOW to that? Like an LED light ?

Or would it be simpler to have some kind of relay which switches off the mains plug?

You can’t wire any kind of power directly to an I/O pin, and even relays require a driver.
You need to provide more details.

And…you can’t compress a vacuum.

8900120d:
Can I just simply remove the existing on/off switch from the compressor and wire it directly to the arduino and output a HIGH or LOW to that? Like an LED light ?

The safe answer is NO, definitely NOT as you have provided no details about the existing switch and its wiring diagram or the motor that is being controlled by the switch.

I strongly suggest you get the advice of a qualified electrician as there are dangerous voltages involved and also a serious risk of fire if you don't do things correctly.

...R

This tutorial might help you:

Hi guys, sorry i was really vague,

its a Vacuum pump that im trying to automate, ITE Bluevac mk120-ds, its 220v 50hz and it has a 0,25kW motor.

im trying to understand how i can power it on and off using the arduino? would a 5v relay suffice ? or would it be simpler to control the on/off from the mains?

im good with the coding side but im still new to the electrical side.

thanks

8900120d:
im trying to understand how i can power it on and off using the arduino? would a 5v relay suffice ? or would it be simpler to control the on/off from the mains?

im good with the coding side but im still new to the electrical side.

The nature of your questions makes me worried that you may electrocute yourself or someone else.

What exactly have you in mind when you say "would a 5v relay suffice" ?

...R

Thanks for your response.
I only want to power off the vacuum pump with the arduino.

I’m under the impression that i should be able to achieve this by tapping a 5v relay to the live wire from the mains lead, and then sending the signal to the relay through the arduino when to switch it off?

8900120d:
I’m under the impression that i should be able to achieve this by tapping a 5v relay to the live wire from the mains lead,

The words “5v relay” are not sufficient to specify the device you need.

What you need is a relay with switch contacts that are designed for mains voltage and for switching an inductive load (the motor). Get advice from a qualified electrician.

I have no idea whether you can buy a suitable relay that has a 5v control input. Also, if you do find a suitable relay with a 5v coil it will probably need a great deal more coil current than an Arduino I/O pin can produce.

…R

You might use a servo to operate an on/off switch. You don't want to have the arduino and the AC electrical systen connected. You might be able to have a 5v relay operate a larger AC rated relay.

Double check with a qualified electrician....

But this may help...

Arduino 5v Relay module:

Vacuum Transducer:

You would need to configure your Arduino to read the Transducer then trigger the Relay to (HIGH or LOW)

What are the compressor's voltage and current requirements (AC or DC)?
I remember seeing a device called a "power tail" or some such that plugged into the wall receptacle
and had low voltage terminals that could switch the outlet by a 5V MCU signal, but I can't find it now. Probably using the wrong search keywords.
AH HA, found one: