Controlling a DC motor (2.6 Ohm)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to control a DC motor I have around to use in a small vehicle. I measured it's resistance with my multimeter and I get around 2.6Ohms. I connected the motor to a 12V power supply and measured the current, I got around 0.6A when it was running in air and 3.7A when it was stalled. So something like a L298N should be ok, since it handles up to 4A, right? Are there any better alternatives? Also, I won't be running it at full speed since it will be too fast and will go from wall to wall so I need some kind of speed control.

Any advice on running this motor would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like H-bridge and PWM would be sensible, yes. But the L298 isn't up to the task used naively as its only 2A per bridge. However I think its OK to parallel the two bridges and get the 4A rating for one motor - just be sure to parallel the right pins together...

MarkT:
However I think its OK to parallel the two bridges and get the 4A rating for one motor - just be sure to parallel the right pins together…

Yes - this is correct; although I seem to recall (I may be wrong) that there are a couple of variants of the L298, on with a slight lower current capability per bridge. Likely, though, this is an older version of the L298, and anything “recent” probably doesn’t have this limitation (check the datasheet for the -exact- part, as the L298 was made by many different manufacturers - I think the ST version is a true “4 amp” capable device, though).

Thanks a lot for the information. I will check the datasheets to see what I need.