Controlling a Led over long distance

I build a water sensor that alerts me when my basement gets flooded, now I want a led upstairs, that turns on when the basement is flooded.

Wires are out of the question because I would have to lay them throught the whole house.

Is there a simple and cheap wireless solution?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Hack a cheap baby minder or a wireless doorbell.
No arduino required.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Hack a cheap baby minder or a wireless doorbell.
No arduino required.

Tom... :slight_smile:

But that way I wouldnt learn anything about how they work. How do they transmit signals? Because surley its cheaper just buying that then buying a baby minder or a wireless doorbell.

But that way I wouldnt learn anything about how they work. How do they transmit signals?

You will also not learn that when you hook up a Bluetooth or 433MHz module to an Arduino.

I'm not an RF guy, so can't really advise; assuming this has to go through concrete floors, a 433MHz might be an option.

Factors -
Power to the sensor & transmitter
Type of signal to be used
Receiving and indicating the received signal
Fail-safe operation if a wire, battery of sensor fails.

Novian3002:
Is there a simple and cheap wireless solution?

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Novian3002:
I build a water sensor that alerts me when my basement gets flooded, now I want a led upstairs, that turns on when the basement is flooded.

Better to have one that is always ON and turns off when there is a problem.

Have you Wifi or ethernet throughout your house?

Why not run a wire up the outside of the house?

I don't know if they would have the range you need but nRF24L01+ transceivers are cheap. There is also a high power version with an external antenna. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest.

...R

Robin2:
Better to have one that is always ON and turns off when there is a problem.

Have you Wifi or ethernet throughout your house?

Why not run a wire up the outside of the house?

I don't know if they would have the range you need but nRF24L01+ transceivers are cheap. There is also a high power version with an external antenna. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest.

...R

Thanks thats just what I searched for, and the idea with the led turning off is great!