Controlling a linear actuator with SPST relay

Can i control a linear actuator with SPST relay?

Yes, once, until it reaches the end.
Then you have to swap the wires, to make it go the other way.

Actuators need H-bridges, or two SPDT relays.
Leo..

"Can i control a linear actuator with SPST relay?"

You will need two SPST relays to control travel in both directions (assuming the SPST has NO and NC contacts).

I do have an empty relay on the 4-relay board. How would I wire that?

Marciokoko:
I do have an empty relay on the 4-relay board. How would I wire that?

Depends on the relay, don't you think?

Paul

It's an SPST relay which is what I have. What I'm wondering is if it could work on by using 2 channels of the same SPST board.

Like this one: TSRB430 V2 - 4 Channel Bluetooth Smartphone Controlled 30A Relay Board with Enclosure

Look how an H-bridge works.
It has four transistors, or four switches.
If you use SPST relays (one switch), then you need four relays to make an H-bridge.
Leo..

Hi,
Do you want to operate the actuator so it just goes from one end to the other of its travel?
OR
Do you want to be able to stop and change direction somewhere between the end stops?

Does your actuator have end stops that turn the motor OFF when the arm reaches its limit?

Can you post the specs/data link for the actuator please?

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Sure, here is the link:

https://a.aliexpress.com/4Yi8Ta52

I wish to operate it back and forth.

Hi,
Thanks for the link, it does have endstop limits so all you need to do is use a DPDT switch. or two SPST relays to accomplish your needs.
So the relay board you linked should do the job.
As long as it has the switch ratings to match or exceed the actuator motor specs.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

OK how would i wire the actuator to the two channels. Right now I have both wires going into channel 3(or relay #3) on that board.

"OK how would i wire the actuator to the two channels. Right now I have both wires going into channel 3(or relay #3) on that board."

Looking at the relay board pictured and specifications, the relays indicate that they only have one normally open contact each, so you will need to use all four relays in your circuit, two wired for extend and two wired for retract.