Controlling a NAO with Arduino

Has anyone here done this yet?

Basically I want to control the Nao with potentiometers. I got the potentiometers hooked up to the Arduino and am able receive their positions with python. Within choregraphe I should be able to write python code for controlling the servos. As of now, I dont really know where to start.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any basic tips on how to go about remote controlling a Nao with Arduino?

if you have time, please check out my blog: fkeel.blogspot.com and see what I have done so far.

If you have any ideas that could be of help, please post them. I would like to hear them.

Regards :-)

P.

We're not talking about the North Atlantic Oscillation here, are we?

I have no game plan, and Nao is no acronym.

I assumed, as this is a robotics-related forum, that people would know what a Nao is. I also assume that someone who does not know what a Nao is would hardly have tried interfacing with it.

Anyway, thanks for adding the link.

cheers

p.

Its something new yet very promising. Open yourself to learn... only thing i would like to say (to the comments by others).

can u tell me what kind of interface does the NAO robot have? serial? or is there any wireless media interface? as i perceive, final operation is wireless gesture execution or imitation. sounds exciting. but please elaborate. I have deployed it using a servo arm on a xbee platform with a nunchuck. i mean i transfer nunchuck movements wirelessly to control servoes at the other end. Keep posted.

would you get out of my face? check out the exhibition part of the forum. The fourth topic already has the word robot in it. I'm sorry I referred to something you where not aware of ... and no, I do not assume that people here are intimately familiar with robotics culture. I was just asking if anyone here had experience with Nao's and obviously you don't, so why even bother posting in this thread unless to piss me off?

Hey, fkeel. Been reading Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People, have you?

hm... maybe I misinterpret Richard Crowley here. To me his comments did not appear to be intended as helpful, instead I perceived them as demeaning. [u]If this is a misinterpretation I apologize.[/u]

In an attempt to restart a on topic discussion:

I have decided to ditch python and choregraphe.

I will controll the Nao with its internal WiFi.

So Basically I have to write an application which reads the serial input from arduino, converts it to angles for the servos and then sends them via the Internet to the Nao. On the Nao I need to write a second application which receives the arrays and implements the movement.

I decided TCP/IP may be too slow for real time control -> Would UDP be suitible instead?

I believe one way of writing the applications would be to use C in combination with the BSD socket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_sockets

Does anyone know alternate methods I could use? I would love to use processing for writing the P.C. application - does processing have an equivalent to Berkely Sockets?

peace

p.

I decided TCP/IP may be too slow for real time control -> Would UDP be suitible instead?

The basic difference between TCP and UDP is with what happens if the packet is not acknowledged. If it isn't TCP will send it again. UDP will not.

Why did you decide that TCP is too slow?

So Basically I have to write an application which reads the serial input from arduino

Where will this application run? On the web server?

How will the Arduino determine what serial data to send?

Why not add a WiFly shield to the Arduino and let it talk directly to the NAO?

I believe one way of writing the applications would be to use C in combination with the BSD socket:

You need something on the other end of the socket to talk to. As far as I know, that is not possible for the Arduino to do. The Arduino can read from the serial port, which Processing can write to.

His reason for existing here seems to be to piss people off. I see one of these verbal attacks at least once a week.