Controlling a servo motor with an external H-bridge

Hello, I have a question regarding control of a servo motor with external h-bridge. So here it goes, can I connect the + and - to the H bridge and make the servo work like DC motor? I know that servos have no need for an h-bridge but for my project I am required to use one.

This is the servo I would be using: http://www.amazon.com/TowerPro-SG90-Mini-Servo-Accessories/dp/B001CFUBN8 and for my project I would ignore the control pin.

if you're planing on using it for continuous rotation than you reconsider. if you took the servo apart, in the gearbox there would be a gear that is connected directly to a potentiometer. on that gear there is a pin than physically limits the rotation. and secondly, since it is connected to a potentiometer and it cant rotate continuously, that would also cause a problem to you. im not sure what youre planing on doing, but, there are a few ways to make the servo go round. there are videos that explain how to modify it:

take it apart, cut of the before mentioned pin on the gear, take out the pontetiometer, solder it out, solder a couple of resistors in its place, and that way you would get a motor that if you type in 90 degrees it would not turn, if 0 degrees than it would turn max speed in one direction and if 180 degrees max speed to a different direction. however if you need accuracy than i do not recommend this, because the dead stop would not be at 9 degrees, it would be slightly off. i tried building a robot like this and that was a disaster, it was immposible to sync two of those motors and each time i turned it on is spun at different speeds.

but if you have a h-bridge, you can simply solder off all the unnesecary electronics and a have a quality dc motor with a spare wire and a good gearbox. worked for me, still glad i did it.

but again im not sure what youre doing wth it so i dont know if this is of any use to you.

Zarolis: if you're planing on using it for continuous rotation than you reconsider. if you took the servo apart, in the gearbox there would be a gear that is connected directly to a potentiometer. on that gear there is a pin than physically limits the rotation. and secondly, since it is connected to a potentiometer and it cant rotate continuously, that would also cause a problem to you. im not sure what youre planing on doing, but, there are a few ways to make the servo go round. there are videos that explain how to modify it:

take it apart, cut of the before mentioned pin on the gear, take out the pontetiometer, solder it out, solder a couple of resistors in its place, and that way you would get a motor that if you type in 90 degrees it would not turn, if 0 degrees than it would turn max speed in one direction and if 180 degrees max speed to a different direction. however if you need accuracy than i do not recommend this, because the dead stop would not be at 9 degrees, it would be slightly off. i tried building a robot like this and that was a disaster, it was immposible to sync two of those motors and each time i turned it on is spun at different speeds.

but if you have a h-bridge, you can simply solder off all the unnesecary electronics and a have a quality dc motor with a spare wire and a good gearbox. worked for me, still glad i did it.

but again im not sure what youre doing wth it so i dont know if this is of any use to you.

Thank you for the quick answer.

I need to turn a panel 90 degrees left or right so there is no need to make it spin 360 degrees. Thats why I decided to use a servo instead of a bldc motor. So if I want to use it with an H-bridge I still have to take it apart and connect the wires from the H-bridge directly to the motor ?

Why do you need to use a H-bridge when there is already a perfectly good one inside the servo?

if you must use a H-bridge then just use a simple DC motor.

However from your description of the project requirement a servo (without an external H-bridge) seems ideal.

...R