Controlling a Servo with a Pot

Will increasing the amount of resistance of the pot, 10k - 50k, make a difference in the range of controll i can get out of the servo. Thanks

chathuraisawesome101: Will increasing the amount of resistance of the pot, 10k - 50k, make a difference in the range of controll i can get out of the servo. Thanks

No, the pot, at whatever value, is just acting as a voltage divider providing an adjustable 0-5vdc to the analog input pin, which then converts if to a digital value range of 0 to 1023 counts. So any pot will read 0 vdc at one extreme and +5vdc at the other, no matter what it's total resistance value is.

Are you sure what you are asking for better range or rather better resolution (minimum step size)? Also the A/D in the AVR processor works better with pots with a value of 10k or less, as higher 'source impedance' of higher value pots can cause less stable analog readings.

So how are you controlling the servos? If you are using servo.write(angle) commands then that is a pretty 'course' resolution and you can do better using the servo.writeMicroseconds(uS) command. This second give you 1000 steps of resolution minimum, with the angle give 180 steps of resolution minimum.

Lefty

yeah, i want smaller steps sizes than larger ones. I am a newbie to Arduino so which of the scripts will be better for controlling a big metal thing connected to a servo. thanks.

If you are buying a pot, I think a "linear" pot would be what you want (instead of "audio taper").