Controlling a three wire Ball Valve with Arduino and Mosfets (?)

Dear Arduino Colleagues,

i am trying to control a "three wire valve" which has the following connecting scheme:

Yellow: Ground /GND
Red Wire: Open the Valve (If on +)
Blue Wire: close the valve (If on +)
(also attached this).

I got some MOS drivers with a Vin- a Vin+ and the respective outs. As far as i got the manual those MOSFETs switch the GND only (Those: link).

If i just fix the "GND" to the common 12 V source ground, and switch Vin+ it won't work.

How can i wire this? or do i need relais or different parts?

Thanks!

Best,
Stephan

You have "low side" switches, you need "high side" switches or relays. What is the voltage and current requirements of your valve motor? Which Arduino do you have?

With your limited background I would recommend you use two relays. Get and read the Arduino cookbook and you will be better equipped to use something else like a MOSFET>

JCA34F:
You have "low side" switches, you need "high side" switches or relays. What is the voltage and current requirements of your valve motor? Which Arduino do you have?

Thanks for your reply.

The valve motor requires something between 9-24V and takes at most 2 Watts, adding up to roughly 0.2 A at 12V (which i want to use) so this is quite relaxed.

I already ordered some relays, i guess this makes life way easier.

Thank you.

gilshultz:
With your limited background I would recommend you use two relays. Get and read the Arduino cookbook and you will be better equipped to use something else like a MOSFET>

Thank you for your hint! I will go for the relay solution, and get ramped up a bit more with the cookbook :slight_smile:

Google H bridge.
Get some matching P type MOSFETS
When you find the relays are too noisy or draw too much power or fail too often you will be ready to use the H bridge.
Or buy an L298 module