Controlling bi-color 12 LED from 2 pins

HI guys, I am new to working with multiple LED, my ultimate project is trying to do my own version of POV sign. So I was bought this bi-color 12 LED Bar Bi-Color (Red/Green) 12-LED Bargraph : ID 459 : $1.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits for its compactness.

Now I am totally stuck as how to control this with 2 pins from adruino. I am (naively) thinking this is possible as adafruit has matrixes being controlled by 2 pins using IC2 backpack. Given there are less LEDs than an 8x8 matrix, I am thinking this should be able to be done..But I have no idea if it is possible and how to begin the research. I know the LED needs to be multiplexed, but dont really know how that works? Can this be done using this chip MAX7219 MAX7219CNG LED Matrix/Digit Display Driver [MAX7219] : ID 453 : $12.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits ??

I need to reduce to controlling it with two pins due to the design of the POV sign..

Help me out to with some idea if this is possible and what chip I need to be looking at..

Thanks guys for helping me with this new project..

If you read the Adafruit page it tells you how to drive it - 3 PNP's driving the anodes and a '595 shift register for the cathodes. Lady Ada is extremely thorough in providing resources for her products - do have a good look at the resources provided.

Thanks for your response. I have read the resources, albeit it is a bit over whelming with PNP, shift registers, multiplexing, and etc. So I have a very basic idea how to do it, but my question is more specifically if this 12 LED bargraph is possible to be controlled with 2 pin. If not, I hate to spend weeks on beating my head on the wall to understand and debug thinking it was my lack of understanding when in reality it is not possible to reduce it down to two pins.

So I was hoping that someone can tell me yes, it can be done specifically with two pins and guide me in the direction to learn..

Thanks

but my question is more specifically if this 12 LED bargraph is possible to be controlled with 2 pin.

Basically yes if and it is a big if you connect other things to those two wires before controlling it to your bar.

It looks like you need an I2C port expander chip to drive with your two wires and then you connect the output of the expander chip to your LED.