Controlling bipolar stepper with a 36v 10a Dual Motor Driver MOD H-bridge

I have a bipolar stepper that I would like to use and I have a Dual Motor Driver Module board H-bridge with DC MOSFET IRF3205 that could handle the current.

I got it for a supplier in China . It controls two DC motors well. Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190990197924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I was wondering how to use it to control a large stepper. I am confused since it has a DIR1 and DIR2 pins and a PWM1 and PWM2 pins. I understand the pins with DC motors, but my Stepper has two phases, thus four wires. So that would mean each phase connects to the motor1 and motor2 terminals.

However, what would my code be? I am use to an hbridge with controlling a four wire stepper. (A1, HIGH);, (A2, lOW);, (B1, HIGH);(B2,LOW), for example. Or using the various stepper Liabraries. However, I am not sure how to code the stepping. and the RPM.

But how do I code a step with a Directional pin and a PWM pin? That is my question.

A h-bridge is a poor choice for controlling a stepper motor.

A specialized stepper motor driver like the Pololu A4988 can limit the current flowing in the stepper motor coils and thus use a much higher voltage to give greatly improved performance. The A4988 may not have enough current capacity for your motor but it will give you the correct idea. The proper driver boards are usually much simpler to use with just step and direction pins to connect to the Arduino.

...R

We know nothing about your motor specs - please post a link to these.

My Stepper motor is 12v to 24v. Its a bipolar two phase, four wire 5 ohm stepper motor.

I do understand the first reply, however, when you look in your box for parts and what you have is starring at you. You start thinking I could get it to work. .

So lets say this... Its not the efficient use of the h-bridge. Its not the most efficient way of driving my stepper. And it will not be in the final project. So we said it.

Now this h-bridge has four inputs, my stepper has four inputs. What am I missing to code it to get it to work.

Thanks for your replies.

An H Bridge is a single DC motor drive, to run a stepper it takes a dual H Bridge for bipolar steppers, and for unipolar (6 wire) 4 suitable mosfets are all that is required for a bare nuts drive. However, some form of voltage programming is required to get the max torque and speed from the motor. Voltage programming is a term to describe a process by which effective drive voltage tracks run frequency such that winding average current remains within the thermal power dissipation capability of the motor. Consult the applications schematics at the end of the datasheet http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000059.pdf.

The above linked H-bridge module is for running two motors or one stepper. It will hold each phase of the stepper.

Also thank you for the link to the l293d spec sheet. I have a nice stepper driver built with two l293d in it. However, it will not handle 24v on a stepper that is 5 ohms. That is way to much current for that chip. I believe that chip only handles max 600ma.

Still trying to figure out the code on getting the above module to work with code.

The pins named In are your phase drives, EnA, EnB are control lines typically used for brushed motor baraking and speed control (PWM). The the case of a stepper drive EnA and EnB can be used for PWM for effective voltage control as it pertains to the applied voltage to any given winding when active. You need to look at the application notes at the back of the pub I sent you. Here's the pub for your motor : http://cnc25.free.fr/documentation/moteurs%20pap/pap_nmb.pdf

athollywood:
My Stepper motor is 12v to 24v. Its a bipolar two phase, four wire 5 ohm stepper motor.

A 5 ohm bipolar motor has a current specification - the voltage is usually just
insulation rating. The current rating is what you need to design a driver. If its a
2A motor then you could conceivably drive it from 12V with an H-bridge.

With care to limit PWM to 50% or less you might get away with driving a 1A 5 ohm
motor from 12V, but it feels iffy.

Its likely designed for current limited chopper drive (in which case 24V no
problem, but you can’t do that with a vanilla H-bridge).