Controlling DC Stepper motor with arduino and CVI integration - UPDATED

Hello everyone!

first of all, i'm very new here and to all arduino and stepper motor world, altough i've read here all the basic stuff. hope that i wont miss any detail .

i have a project that i'm working on. it contains controlling a stepper motor ( ~ 7 NM , NEMA 34 ) with an CVI windows application. i'm thinking to connect the cpu with Arduino UNO, driver and stepper motor at this configuration: CPU > Arduino > Driver (for voltage amplification) > Stepper motor. ( at this point there wont be an encoder in this loop but further ahead there is a good chance that i will add one).

my questions are: 1. how do i make an interface between arduino and CVI? is there anything online that i can learn from? (i know how to work with CVI..)

1. does Arduino UNO can work with stepper motor at this kind? (7-8 NM as i mentioned), if not, which one can be suitable?

2. anything else that you might think that i'll need to know?

i'm thinking to buy this stepper kit , is there a possibility that it won't fit?

Much appreciate every help that i'll get! thanks in advance.

Dor

Assuming that kit is suitable for your project it should be possible to control it with an Arduino. You would not need the breakout board - that seems to be intended to connect to an old style PC parallel port.

You will have to explain what CVI means and what role you envisage for your PC.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

Robin2: You will have to explain what CVI means and what role you envisage for your PC.

i'm intending doing with CVI an application that i'll be able to order the stepper motor to move in a specific direction, speed and to have pre programmable movements for the motor.

And what is CVI?

sorry for the misunderstanding

i meant CVI/LabWindows by National Instruments url of the application -> http://www.ni.com/lwcvi/

Thank you. Now we know what PC software you are using. However I don't plan to learn how to use that package just so I can help you with your Arduino problem.

Can that program send data to a serial port and receive data from a serial port? Do you know how to program it for that purpose?

If the answer to both is YES then it should be possible to use it in conjunction with an Arduino.

It would also help if you expand on

i'll be able to order the stepper motor to move in a specific direction, speed and to have pre programmable movements for the motor

It is very practical to send commands to the Arduino to move a motor a certain distance at a certain speed but it is unlikely to be practical to send indivual step instructions to the motor unless you only need very slow movement.

...R

Robin2: Can that program send data to a serial port and receive data from a serial port? Do you know how to program it for that purpose?

If the answer to both is YES then it should be possible to use it in conjunction with an Arduino.

this program is able to send and receive data from serial port, but how to program it to work with serial ports i still dont know how, this is why i need your guys help here of someone who familiar with this, didnt expect anyone to learn something just for helping me ;) thanks robin!

I presume you have paid for the CVI program so why not get the creators to earn their fee and explain what you need to know?

...R

Google “labwindows/cvi arduino” for lots of hits.

Robin2: I presume you have paid for the CVI program so why not get the creators to earn their fee and explain what you need to know?

...R

tried that already, didn't helped a lot... just thought that someone here has some knowledge at this area.

Your stepper motor presumable takes lots of amps? You likely need a 10A stepper controller or simialr, expensive.

Do you actually need a stepper of that huge torque rating really? What are the mechanical requirements? Have you thought about a smaller motor and reduction gearing? Have you considered a simple cheap gear motor and an encoder for motion control?

MarkT: Your stepper motor presumable takes lots of amps? You likely need a 10A stepper controller or simialr, expensive.

Do you actually need a stepper of that huge torque rating really? What are the mechanical requirements? Have you thought about a smaller motor and reduction gearing? Have you considered a simple cheap gear motor and an encoder for motion control?

yes i thought about all of that, the mechanicals requirme that torque. i have also belt transmission to even lower the torque.

UPDATE: the Arduino Leonardo can connect to a stepper driver? i mean just to transfer signals from cpu to the driver, does it have that capability? i want to order this kit of motor, driver, PS, and breakout board (which the arduino will replace eventually), and i need to know beforehand that it will connect all together.

dor.

@dormoshe, you seem to have edited your Original Post yesterday (nearly a month after writing it). What changes did you make? (hopefully it was just to correct a typo)

Yes a Leonardo can connect to a stepper driver. Why would you have a question about that?

From your link in Reply #11 it seems that the package includes a board for connection to a PC parallel port. You probably won't need that if you use an Arduino.

...R