Controlling home lights with wireless transceiver

So I recently thought of a cool project for myself to work on.

I want to be able to turn on and off the many lights in my home wirelessly with a single hand held device.

I have already researched about the methods and have found that there are two ways that I know to control wirelessly and that's IR and RF. I've also heard of XBee as well but I feel that is too much for this project. I have found this neat wireless transceiver that's pretty cheap. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9582

Now here's where I get a little lost. I would have to put those transceivers inside with all of the light switches. There's about 7 lights that i'd like to control. I would also have one transceiver in my hand held "remote" that communicates with each of those light switch transceivers individually so they all don't mix with each other and turn on all at the same time.

I guess what i'm asking is:

• Is there a way to have the parent transceiver talk to the children transceivers and sort of pair with one until it matches up with an ID of some sort and upon matching the light turns on or off?
  • Is there a better way to do this whole project?
  • I would like to fit the parent transceiver inside a small container so i'm trying to keep that part small.
  • Am I going to have the transceiver connected to an Arduino at all times or can I go without even using on?

Hopefully I can get some guidance. Thanks.

There have been a lot of discussions on the RFM12 on this forum, mostly in the
Networking section. Also, check the Playground. There are some small boards
with Arduino and RFM12, like the jeenode, but you might want to look at
lowpower labs RFM12 library. Also, the RFM12s have about 40m range at
433 Mhz, whereas other low power devices like nRF2401 and XBees that
operate at 2.4 Ghz only have about 10m range.

oric_dan: There have been a lot of discussions on the RFM12 on this forum, mostly in the Networking section. Also, check the Playground. There are some small boards with Arduino and RFM12, like the jeenode, but you might want to look at lowpower labs RFM12 library. Also, the RFM12s have about 40m range at 433 Mhz, whereas other low power devices like nRF2401 and XBees that operate at 2.4 Ghz only have about 10m range.

Thanks, Much appreciated!