Controlling LED strips with audio for a beginner

I am an arduino newb and i've spent hours searching the web finding projects that are just not exactly what i'm interested in doing.

I'd like to control WHITE led strips with line-in audio. Everything I've found is to control RGB strips. I will be controlling about 24-30 ft of super bright white LEDs for long periods of time so i'll need a driver that can handle that.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/top-emitting/led-light-strips-led-tape-light-with-36-smdsft-1-chip-smd-led-3528-with-lc2-connector/1487/4450/#/tab/Specifications

I would like to be able to control what frequency range the lights respond to and i'd like to control how they respond i.e. flicker vs smooth, brightness, etc. (i imagine i would do this within the code?)

Once i have Arduino programed will it retain the ability to perform this task without a computer even if turned off and on?

It seems like this should be easy but i cant find info about doing exactly this.

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!!!!!

I would like to be able to control what frequency range the lights respond to and i'd like to control how they respond i.e. flicker vs smooth, brightness, etc. (i imagine i would do this within the code?)

I don't think the SMD 3528 is individually addressable, so you are limited to all the LEDs being either on or off. You could change the brightness using a transistor and PWM, although I have never tried this.

Your first task is to calculate the power consumption of your 30 ft strip of LEDs and work out something that is capable of switching that amount of current. Start by looking at a MOSFET transistor. Remember that the Arduino cannot power that strip itself - it's 12V and would require more current than the Arduino can supply, so you will need a separate 12V power supply with a common ground to the Arduino.

There is a post here that seems to cover what you can do with your strip.

Yes, google PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and MOSFET transistors.

Once i have Arduino programed will it retain the ability to perform this task without a computer even if turned off and on?

Yes, but you will need something to power the Arduino and your strip.

If you haven't purchased yet, have a look at smart LED strips. With these strips you can set the colour of each individual LED from the Arduino so you can get a much larger range of effects.