controlling low volt stepper motor with a high volt driver

hello folks.
I am new to arduino forum.

I am planning on purchasing nema 17 stepper motor for my final year CNC project:
current : 1.5 A
voltage : 3.0 V
torque : 4.2 kgcm

and decided to use TB6560 for controlling the motor. on seeing the spec i came to know that drivers operating voltage is 10-35 V. Is it possible to run the motor using this stepper driver?

also kindly suggest me a best driver for the same.

I will be very thankful if additional knowledge can be given on this topic!

thank you :slight_smile:

It is unusual to see a stepper motor advertise a voltage value, unless it is a minimum voltage value. Steppers are usually driven by much higher voltages than the 3.0V that you show.

also kindly suggest me a best driver for the same.

Not possible, since you have not defined what the motor will be doing or what criteria to use to rank them.

thanks for replying :slight_smile:

i am fabricating a CNC drilling machine in x, y & z axis. for that i have decided to use 4 NEMA 17 stepper motors coupled with leadscrew. i am not buying the motor and driver from online as i dont have much time as shipping takes some time here in india...so decided to go for a local purchase. unfortunately where i live only 3-3.5 volt with 1-1.5 A motors are available. drivers like tb6560, drv8825 are available but their voltage rating is high. and yeah i will be using arduino uno.

Q1) is it safe to use low stepper motor with a higher volt driver? can you guide me.

Q2) also i want to move about 2 kg along the leadscsrew for 500mm distance. how much torque should i
need for achieving the same ?

Q2) also i want to move about 2 kg along the leadscsrew for 500mm distance. how much torque should i
need for achieving the same ?

Torque is force times distance. We know the weight, but not the force needed to move the weight. Dragging a polished 2kg weight over ice will take less force than dragging a 2kg object with velcro glued to it over the mating velcro piece.

And, we have no idea what diameter leadscrew you are using, so the distance is known.

So, you have one equation, and two unknowns. So the torque is unknown.

can you guide me.

Can you put your hands in your pockets, and get someone else to type for you? Someone that understands the need to post links to the hardware you are talking about?

If you can get leadsrews shipped from China, I can't imagine why you can't get stepper motors and matching drivers and power supplies shipped from China, too.

sorry for my incomplete q. i dont have much data....but below are the things i am gonna use.

lead screw:

nema 17stepper motor:

stepper motor driver:

i am kind of confused with the voltage of both driver and motor. and i never said i am buying parts from china........i said i will be buying parts from local dealer(similar to above mentioned parts). they are not shipped from china...they are made here in india. the only problem is time....i hardly have 2 weeks hence i am not buying from banggood or some other site.

if the above data is not sufficient, please let me know what else i need to mention.

thanks in advance sir/madam.

Ignoring completely the design aspects of whether or not the steppers and lead screws you are looking at are suitable for the task: It is not unusual to see motors like those driven with at least 12 volts. It's the current setting on the driver that is most important to protecting the motor from overheating.

Take a read of this article for some basics on stepper motors:

https://www.machinedesign.com/motorsdrives/misconceptions-about-stepper-motors-explained

thanks for the link sir.....was very helpful :slight_smile: