Controlling multiple 12v lights

Very new to Arduino and wanting to know if the project I have in mind could be controlled with Arduino. I want to build a trailer light tester, 12v system. My idea is to make a small tester with a 12v rechargeable jumpbox as a power source. What I am wishing to do is to be able to wirelessly have 8 to 10 switches on a remote, be able to control outputs. The outputs would be Marker lights, brake lights, left turn, right turn, flashers, running lights, electric brake and 12v power outlet. The idea is to be able to test trailers without the need for a vehicle to be hooked up to it. I have made one before but it is rather large, what I am envisioning is a smaller box with a bulkhead connector to adapt different style plugs to. Is this within Arduino capabilities? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded explanation.

Stopnaggin:
Very new to Arduino and wanting to know if the project I have in mind could be controlled with Arduino. I want to build a trailer light tester, 12v system. My idea is to make a small tester with a 12v rechargeable jumpbox as a power source. What I am wishing to do is to be able to wirelessly have 8 to 10 switches on a remote, be able to control outputs. The outputs would be Marker lights, brake lights, left turn, right turn, flashers, running lights, electric brake and 12v power outlet. The idea is to be able to test trailers without the need for a vehicle to be hooked up to it. I have made one before but it is rather large, what I am envisioning is a smaller box with a bulkhead connector to adapt different style plugs to. Is this within Arduino capabilities? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded explanation.

It is posible for sure. But for someone who is just starting…

Apart from the wirless part the code part would be easy. For wireless you could use bluetooth as I understand it will be short range comunication.

For the electrical part you would need mosfet’s mainly.

Yes at most it would need 50ft of range, I have some basic knowledge of programming, my understanding is it's a form of or similar to C++. On a side note the tester I have already made is wireless, if need be I could order the same wireless relay controllers and possibly use Arduino to control those relays if it would be easier.

Are this LED lights or incandescent bulbs? Do you want to actually light up the trailer lights or just check for continuity? Incandescent bulbs can be tested by sending a small current through them, no need for 12V or MOSFETs. The bulb won't light up but you can easily tell whether it's broken (open circuit) or not. LEDs are a bit harder to do this way due to their forward voltage.

wvmarle: Are this LED lights or incandescent bulbs? Do you want to actually light up the trailer lights or just check for continuity? Incandescent bulbs can be tested by sending a small current through them, no need for 12V or MOSFETs. The bulb won't light up but you can easily tell whether it's broken (open circuit) or not. LEDs are a bit harder to do this way due to their forward voltage.

Can be both, different customers have different setups as far as the lights used. I personally like to be at the rear of the trailer and see the lights light up. What I use now is rather large and has to be rolled out to each trailer and hooked up. It uses a car battery and actually lights up the lights. What I'm trying to do is make it more streamlined internally. ATM I have to separate wireless receivers that control relays to activate different lights. I also have 3 separate flashers for left turn, right turn and emergency flash. If I could use Arduino to control the receivers and or make it control the flashing aspect I could eliminate much of the extra parts and wiring, thus making a more portable option. Packing up the unit to haul to some customers yards is a pain because of the bulk of the unit. I am assuming that I would still need to use relays to put a full 12v to the system and my understanding of Arduino is that it runs on 5v.

Yes good possible with firstly a automatic Current safety. some FET to switch the possitive Voltage. or use small relays to be able to switch power. a diode bridge so you can switch the battery. an DC\DC or 7809 to power the arduino. a controllight when the unit receives commands.

I see, I thought it's for a single one, but it's to be general. That changes the picture a bit.

Use a set of LiPo batteries: 3x LiPo is 11.1V nominal (12.6V when fully charged), slightly less than a car battery (nominal 12V, max 13.8V) but it should be enough to light up the lights of your trailer. Plenty of capacity for a lot of testing. Those batteries can produce a lot of current as well. A complete car battery is simply overkill for this.

The Arduino requires 5V, just use a buck converter for that.

A set of MOSFETs or relays (high side switching will indeed be required as is normal in automotive), so that'd be p-channel MOSFETs. As you're switching with 5V you need a second transistor (small signal NPN or n-channel MOSFET) to switch the p-MOS. Not really complicated.

Add a Bluetooth adapter (HC-05 will do fine), and you can control the thing over your phone. MIT's App Inventor lets you quite easily build a simple app: all you need is a few buttons to switch on/off the individual lights.

Thank you for the replies, I guess now its time to get to work.

Good luck!