Controlling multiple computer fans

Dear Arduino community,

I would like some advice about my first Arduino board and project. I am completely new to Arduino and cirquit boards. I do have experience in computer programming.

I would like to control an array of multiple (computer type) cooling fans with a gesture. Could you guys and girls please advice me as to what hardware would be smart to start out with? I did find a module who can recognize gestures but I don't know which main board is a good one to start out with. I would prefer a compact form factor. I hope this is enough info. Thanks for your time.

You didn't mention how many fans you want to control.

The small size boards (Mini/Nano) have the same I/O capabilities and processing power (same controller type) as the bigger Uno board has. If you need more capabilities or I/O pins, the connectors to the outer world require larger boards.

For your first steps an Uno (Starter Kit) may be helpful, even if you want to use smaller/cheaper boards for stand alone devices later.

OldSteve:
You didn’t mention how many fans you want to control.

Sorry, won’t be more than 8 fans. No less than 4

FrankJaeger: Sorry, won't be more than 8 fans. No less than 4

You can't run more than 6 PWM outputs on a UNO or other ATMega328P-based board, two per timer. A Mega can handle many more, I forget how many but it's a lot more than 8. I've never played with PC fans, so don't know if frequency is important, but you're limited to 490Hz or 980Hz using 'analogWrite()', depending on the pin and which timer it uses.

OldSteve: You can't run more than 6 PWM outputs on a UNO or other ATMega328P-based board, two per timer. A Mega can handle many more, I forget how many but it's a lot more than 8. I've never played with PC fans, so don't know if frequency is important, but you're limited to 490Hz or 980Hz using 'analogWrite()', depending on the pin and which timer it uses.

Thank you for your reply. This helps me to look into it in further detail.