Controlling power of AC Solenoids

Hi! I’m working on an Arduino-based Standard acoustic Drumset. Each drum piece wll be hit by a 220VAC Solenoid-driven drumstick. I also have SSRs for the Solenoids to communicate it to my Arduino mega. How do I control the speed and power of Solenoids w/o using TRIACs?

How do I control the speed and power of Solenoids w/o using TRIACs?

Place your hands together and repeat after me
Our Farther ......

Seriously why rule out the one solution?

The SSR can only turn the power on or off. They are not designed to vary the output to the load.

You could try changing the on time for each pulse but I would not be using PWM to drive the SSR.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
The SSR can only turn the power on or off. They are not designed to vary the output to the load.

Yes they are. You turn them on at some time after the zero crossing of the mains cycle, that is exactly what they are designed to do.

A triac is simply two SCRs back to back so when the OP rules out triacs he rules out SCRs as well.

The problem the OP has is that he will not achieve what he wants even if he uses phase control on the solenoids.

I am only familiar with the basic SSR. To phase control that you would need an external circuit to monitor the phase of the input.

I have been enlightened by looking up

http://www.crydom.com/en/Tech/Newsletters/Solid%20Statements%20-%20SSRs%20switching%20types.pdf

Weedpharma