Controlling single stepper via blutooth

Hi All, I’m new to the wonderful world of Arduino and C++ so please be gentle with me. I have been searching the internet for days and can’t find the answer to my question.

I am wanting to control just the speed of a stepper motor via Bluetooth. I have vast experience with steppers and drivers and have it all connected up properly. Using a simple code (accellstepper lib)) I can control the speed with a 10k Pot no problem.

I have used a few bits of code that I have found online and can get the stepper to start and stop via my HC-06 Bluetooth module by issuing commands from an android terminal app.

But I am struggling to get any of the code to work using a slider built in MIT,

here is the first code that i can use with blutooth terminal on Android

#include <AccelStepper.h> // Library created by Mike McCauley at http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper/
// AccelStepper Setup
AccelStepper stepper(1, 8, 9);  // 1 = Easy Driver interface, Pin 4 connected to STEP pin of Easy Driver, Pin 5 connected to DIR pin of Easy Driver

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial portOne(0, 1); // software serial #1: TX = digital pin 10, RX = digital pin 11

// Define our three input button pins
#define  button1 3
#define  button2 2

int spd = 3000;    // The current speed in steps/second
int sign = 0;      // Either 1, 0 or -1

void setup()
{ 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  stepper.setMaxSpeed(3000);
  stepper.setSpeed(1000);

// Set up the three button inputs, with pullups
  pinMode(button1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(button2, INPUT_PULLUP);
}

void loop()
{ 
  char c;
  if(Serial.available()) {
    c = Serial.read();
    if (c == 'f') {  // forward
      sign = 1;
    }
    if (c == 'r') {  // reverse
      sign = -1;
    }
    if (c == 's') {  // stop
      sign = 0;
    }
    if (c == '1') {  // super slow
      spd = 10;
    }
    if (c == '2') {  // slow
      spd = 100;
    }
    if (c == '3') {  // medium
      spd = 300;
    }
       if (c == '4') {  // fast
      spd = 500;
    }  
       if (c == '5') {  // faster
      spd = 700;
    }  
       if (c == '6') {  // superfast
      spd = 3000;
    }
  }
  if (digitalRead(button1) == 0) {
    sign = 1;
  }
  else if (digitalRead(button2) == 0) {   
    sign = -1;
  }
  stepper.setSpeed(sign * spd);
  stepper.runSpeed();
}

This code was taken from the net. I can get it to start and stop with terminal commands but not using a slider. Any help would be muchly appreciated! Im even willing to pay for someone’s time.

Functions I want is Control Speed using slider on android and Estop button.

You are getting SoftwareSerial mixed up with Serial (HardwareSerial) in this

SoftwareSerial portOne(0, 1);

Serial uses pins 0 and 1. Use another pair of pins for SoftwareSerial and connect them to your Bluetooth device. Then, rather than

if(Serial.available()) {
    c = Serial.read();

you would have

if(portone.available()) {
    c = portonel.read();

Of course you might think that portone is no longer an appropriate name for the SoftwareSerial instance.

...R
Serial Input Basics

Of course you might think that portone is no longer an appropriate name for the SoftwareSerial instance.

I would never think it was. I've seen ports, and they don't look like they send or receive serial data.

OP: If you called the instance "bluetooth", don't you think it would be easier to keep the bluetooth data separate from the Serial data?

On the other hand, creating an instance of a class, SoftwareSerial in this case, but then never using the instance doesn't make a lot of sense.