Controlling VersaPak screwdriver

I am trying to control a Black & Decker VersaPak screwdriver with my Arduino motor shield. When I connect it, the board resets. The VersaPak is 3.6v, I'm not sure about the amperage, but it's Ni-Cd. I hacked the device with the power going to the + and ground with the motor going to A+ and A-. Am I putting too much power into the board? If so, what circuit should I be using? Otherwise, what I am I doing wrong? I am using 24 gauge wire, is this too light weight?

Thanks in advance for your help. --jack

Am I putting too much power into the board?

no, you might be sucking too much current from the board

I am using 24 gauge wire, is this too light weight?

Probably, you need to figure out how much current the motor draws, batteries can supply a surprising amount for short amounts of time, if its a short length you might be ok, unless you notice the wire getting warm.

Just from the torque and rpm specs it’ll be 50W at least, so 15 to 20A I suspect. Which Arduino motor shield? At 3.6V you must use a MOSFET driver, darlington drivers will produce nothing. Wiring should be thick.

The board is the Arduino Motor Shield v3, and it's connected to a Arduino UNO v2. When I have the board connected to just USB it operates normally, but as soon as I connect the VersaPack power to the Vin and Ground screw-ports, the board shuts off.

Could the problem be that I need to cut the "Vin Connect" jumper b/c the 3.6v from ther VersaPak battery isn't within the 5-12v range that the board wants?