convert a signal to a 'push button' action

Hello. trying to figure out a way to convert a signal (dry contact, 12v or 24v dc) from constant 'on' to momentarily close a dry contact, then when signal stops momentary close the dry contact again.

In case the use situation matters, I have a battery system that sends a signal when it needs a charge and cuts the signal when it's fully charged. The generator is a push button (1sec) start and push the same button (1 sec) again to stop. So trying to mimic the pushbutton start/stop action.

No idea if this is the right product to make that happen quickly and easily for a dolt like me?

Thoughts/ideas?

Sounds doable.

Show us a good schematic of your circuit.
Show us a good image of your ‘actual’ wiring.
Give links to components.
Posting images:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0.

A charger and relay could be an easy solution. Attache wiring diagram and data for the battory system.

No schematic, sorry… just don’t know what to put on it, but in words:

My problem is that the battery unit (a Sonnen Eco 12) can be programmed to signal for the generator to start with either dry/12/24v signal. The problem is the unit sends a constant signal until it’s batteries are charged, then cuts the signal, which should tell the generator to stop.

But the generator I have requires a momentary (1 sec) close of two pins to start up, and another short of the same two pins to turn off. i.e. no power, just short between the pins. The generator has a fully automated startup and shutdown sequence, so it just needs the proper signal as described.

The ‘work around’ I can think of, and am asking about, is to convert the constant signal from the battery to a momentary short on the generator side when it calls for a charge. And then to short it again when the signal stops.

Its been suggested to “just use a monostable oscillator using an LM555”. Such as the attached. But I honestly don’t see it working.

I can figure out the first part with a relay, it’s the ‘when the signal stops do it again’ part that’s the real struggle.

I know it’s probably simple, but I’m even simpler!!

timer4.gif

You need to know how to set that battory device to signal that it needs charging. You also need to know where that signal is found, and what level it has.
In the same way You need to know how to connect to the generator. Does the generator need a voltage signal or what?

I don't understand "You need to know how to set that battory device to signal that it needs charging. You also need to know where that signal is found, and what level it has."

I've got two wires coming out the battery box, they can be programmed to be dry contact, 12vdc or 24vdc which I can program easily. The battery unit decides for itself when to call for a charge.

The generator side has two wires that only needs a momentary closed circuit to turn on or off the generator. (momentary push button) No voltage, just close the circuit for 1 sec. each

The issue is the battery sends a constant signal expecting the generator to stay on as long as it receives the signal and the battery only wants a momentary closed circuit to start and another to stop.

Okey. Set up the battory for 12 volt signal.
Got it. The start of the battory signal should give a one second pulse to the generator to start and when the battory removes the signal a second pulse to stop the generator. Right?

ya' man! That's the idea.

This can probably been done using simple electronics, 1 or 2 NE555. Using a simple Arduino reduces the number solderings so it can be a good solution.

I'd love to be able to roll my sleeves up and do the research to develop the 'simple electronics' solution. But I've got a distinct lack of time to sort it out. With a parts list and schematic I'd honestly go that route...

Appreciate the feedback and I guess I'll look at a bottom-end Arduino... any specific product you'd recommend?

Thx for the consideration mate.

Use an Ardiono UNO, Power it using USB, Pc or powerbank. Use a voltage divider for the 12 volt input.
Tell what the level/currentn is needed to kick the generator.