Convert Bluetooth device to wired control

Hi there. I’m looking to control a number of off-the-shelf LumeCube LED lights via an Arduino. They come with Bluetooth and an iPhone app, but since I’ll have a fairly large number of them, I’d prefer to automate on/off/dimming/sequencing - and Bluetooth may not have the range or reliability with the numbers I’m planning. While they feature a USB port, I’m told Bluetooth is the only available control.

My naive thinking is that I should be able to open one up and somehow clone the output of the onboard Bluetooth module - then simply supply that from a wired connection.

Not looking for a highly detailed response - more just - is this feasible?

Thanks!

ollieshaw:
somehow clone the output of the onboard Bluetooth module - then simply supply that from a wired connection.

Shouldn’t that be clone the input to the onboard Bluetooth module. In other words send “wired” instructions to An Arduino with a Bluetooth module that then sends Bluetooth instructions to the module in lieu of the IPhone app.

My guess is that that could be very difficult unless you have some means to identify the messages that the IPhone app sends to the lighting module. If IPhone can communicate with several lighting units it is probably using BLE which is more complicated than traditional Bluetooth.

If you want more advice please post a link to the datasheet or user-manual for the lighting device.

…R

Hi - thanks for replying. I’m actually looking to not use Bluetooth at all - I was planning to intercept what comes out of the on-board Bluetooth module after it’s received a signal from the iPhone app. Then supply that signal in place of the Bluetooth receivers output via a wired connection directly to the light. Unfortunately I can’t get schematics for the light unit. However I will be able to open one up and probe it with an oscilloscope etc.

I think you are overthinking this.

According to their FAQs, the Lume Cube has manual control via 2 buttons. I leave it for you as an exercise to figure out what that means. .

The suggestion in Reply #3 looks attractive.

I am somewhat doubtful about the idea in Reply #2 - I think it would require some dis-assembly of the PCB and if it is a multi-layer surface-mount PCB that won't be easy.

...R

ieee488 - you are right, I totally overlooked that while trying to come up with a “clever” solution. wasn’t seeing the wood for the trees there :slight_smile:

Robin2 - thanks, that’s the kind of insight I was looking for regarding the internals.

I will go for the wired button approach!

Appreciate the replies folks, while I have a somewhat technical background, I am new to Arduino tinkering and can use all the help I can get!