Convert project from rainbowduino (8x8 rgb matrix) to MAX7219 single color 8x8

Hello,

I'd like to make something similar like this, with a 8x8 LED matrix Single color, but on a bigger scale.

It's basically a low resolution fire animation.
The guy who made this works with a RGB led grid and drives it with a rainbowduino. He also provides the code.

I would like to make a similar animation, but with single color led matrix, and would like to know if its possible to convert the code to work with a MAX7219 driver.

Thank you for any advise and have a good day,

KurtVdN:
I would like to make a similar animation, but with single color led matrix, and would like to know if its possible to convert the code to work with a MAX7219 driver.

It will be difficult. The MAX7219 doesn't play nice with RGB matrices (this is the main reason why they invented the rainbowduino!)

These days you'd just chop up a WS2812 LED strip and use that instead. It's very cheap and easy to build using strips.

Thanks for your answer.
No, the thing is that I would not use a RGB matrix. I want the 'fire' effect but would only use a single color matrix.
Is the code convertable to use it with a MAX7219, but without the RGB functionality?

KurtVdN:
Thanks for your answer.
No, the thing is that I would not use a RGB matrix. I want the 'fire' effect but would only use a single color matrix.
Is the code convertable to use it with a MAX7219, but without the RGB functionality?

Not really - the MAX7219 can't set the brightness of individual LEDs. They're either on or off.

fungus:
These days you'd just chop up a WS2812 LED strip and use that instead. It's very cheap and easy to build using strips.

Noting the frequency of this same advice, fungus really, really likes these strips!

Paul__B:

fungus:
These days you’d just chop up a WS2812 LED strip and use that instead. It’s very cheap and easy to build using strips.

Noting the frequency of this same advice, fungus really, really likes these strips!

Have you used them much? Anything that starts with “I want a lot of RGB LEDs…” is a good candidate.