Converter videos from VHS to digital (hd mp4)

Hi guys,

I am about to start a project for converting videos from VHS to a digital format.
I am new with Arduino, but I have some background in programming and electronics, only
the elementary.. and some about mathematics.

Does anyone have a comment about the project I am thinking of?
Which are the electronic components that I would need?
It is possible to do that with arduino. Is there any othe microcontroller that I can use?
Is there a tutorial out there for doing that kind of project?

I need some directions for starting. Thank all of you!

Mustafa Ali.

Does anyone have a comment about the project I am thinking of?

What rôle do you envisage for the Arduino?
IR controller for the tape deck?

OK, so we are all going to have a good chuckle about this one.

You go down to your local store and buy one of these devices. Note that I only give you that link as the first thing that came up in my search, not advertising it in particular - you will find a myriad of them in the shops and online.

I have a couple here (unused) as well as the TV card in our media computer that we actually use to watch "TV"; my wife often asks about digitising our VHS collection - I ask who is going to sit and actually do it - putting the tapes in the VHS machine and carefully starting (and the time-consuming bit - stopping) the record functions and all, editing off the copyright garbage and so on.

So note the warnings - you need a "grunty" PC to do this, at least dual core and 3 GHz, I presume quad core would be more like it.

I echo AWOL - what part in the process did you imagine an Arduino would play? His suggestion is pretty much spot-on - I suppose you could use it as an interface to send out IR commands via USB to start the VCR, but I cannot see that there would be any benefit in that because you need to visually determine (and have a few tries to find) the point to start the recording on any given tape.

I want to convert my VHS videos to a digital format only

Mustafa:
I want to convert my VHS videos to a digital format only

Echoing the others: Again, what role do you envisage the Arduino playing, because honestly - there isn’t really a need for the Arduino for this process.

cr0sh:
honestly - there isn't really a need for the Arduino for this process.

That's the word - need!

Hi, Mustafa, if you are trying to see if an Arduino can process the analog tape video and convert it to digital video format, then no it does not have the processing capacity nor the program memory.

Take the advice given by Paul_B, purchase a converter to do it for you.

Tom......... :slight_smile:

I did a google search for VHS to mp4 and media converter and got quite a few hits.

Check: How to Convert VHS to Digital: Make Digital Copies of Videotapes
and: http://www.appgeeker.com

I have no VHS tapes in my collections, I'm not sure if programs above work for you, but it's worth trying.