Converting Ant+ Heart Rate Monitor Output to 5 KHz Analog

My project is to wirelessly interface an ANT+ heart rate monitor (an armband type) to the display on my elliptical trainer. The trainer normally receives a 5 KHz EM signal from a chest strap.

What I’ve done so far is to buy a Suunto USB stick that gets the ANT+ data to a USB connector that you can connect to your PC, and you can presumably get fitness software to read it. What I’m thinking is to use an Arduino board of some type and plug the Suunto stick into it, then program the Arduino to read the real-time heart rate data and, as a minimum, output a pulse for each heartbeat. I would use the pulse to drive an external 5 KHz transmitter that I could build. Or maybe I could program the Arduino to output the 5 KHz bursts and then add on a little amplifier/antenna for transmitting to the elliptical trainer.

I’m a retired RF EE, so I know how to do the RF stuff, but I am just starting to learn about the Arduino universe, and reading USB ports is a big mystery to me.

Any help on how to proceed and what to read would be appreciated. Thanks, djkane03

What I'm thinking is to use an Arduino board of some type and plug the Suunto stick into it, then program the Arduino to read the real-time heart rate data and, as a minimum, output a pulse for each heartbeat.

What I'm thinking is that you haven't got much of chance of making this happen. The Arduino is a USB slave. The Suunto stick is a USB slave. When two slaves get together, all they do is sit around and drink beer.

You'd need to have a USB Host shield, and write the USB driver to make the Suunto stick do what it is supposed to do.

And, I have my doubts about your being able to write a USB driver, when you don't even recognize USB hosts/masters vs. USB slaves.

Of course, I could be wrong. I was once.

Arduino Yun has USB host port.

Yun's current OS has kernel driver kmod-usb-serial-motorola-phone which supports Suunto ANT+ USB device plus a number of Motorola phones.