Converting i2c to CAN

I'll start by asking- is there a device for purchase that does this already? I've looked and I can't find anything.

If not, would this be simple? I.e. an i2c to Serial chip and Serial to CAN chip tied together?

Most CAN controller chips I've seen are interfaced via SPI. But there is no transparent "I2C to CAN" type chip if that is what you are looking for. The communication protocols are too different (however I'm sure its not impossible to simplify the CAN frame protocol and implement this yourself).

If you could be a little more specific about what you are trying to acomplish, a more clear answer can be provided.

Well I have a set of these Melexis MLX9014 (I think 9014) IR temp sensors that communicate with the Arduino on i2c. What I'd like is to convert their output to CAN so that I can place them on the CAN bus and log the signals with another device. Whatever device does the converting may also need to have a configurable CAN address, since I don't know what addresses will exist on the CAN bus that all this is applied to.

Well then I think you have your I2C to CAN solution! Program you arduino to do exactly what you want. Sparkfun sells a CAN-shield, I've used it and it's not so bad.

Are you successful in converting i2c to CAN

Teensy boards have CAN built in already. Just sayin