Cool find/How the does one read a timing diagram?

When visiting my uncle last summer(I'm originally from Russia, and he used to do mass electronics work, especially with IC's, now he does more programming, but doesn't hesitate to pull out the soldering iron)
We went up to his attic, and discovered this little gem(he likes to scavenge parts from old stuff)

It's a drum "cleaner" from an old Xerox.

And it's operated via serial.

There's the standard Data, Clock, Latch, Power and Ground pins you'd expect to find.
So my question is.
How would I make this wonderful thing work with the arduino?

Here's the datasheet for the IC, and as you've probably noticed, there's 2 of them connected.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/1967187.pdf

I have NO IDEA how to read the timing chart, but I do know that you'd set the latch to ground, code in your LED scheme(alternating clock+data?) then unground the latch for it to send.

Preferably I'd like a crash course on timing diagram readings, but arduino code'll work.

What's nice is this can be modified to a 32x32(?) matrix of LED's :slight_smile:

It’s just a 32 bit shift register with latch. All the timing diagram is saying is to change the state of the data line after the clock line has gone low. Once you’ve shifted 32 bits and hit the /Latch line, the LEDs should light up if the /Strobe line is correct.

Ok, so it's nothing special(assumed that, but timing chart still confuzzles)
But any chance someone could conjure up a quick little sketch that'll make em alternate on/off.
Thanks in advance,
Forums = Win.

Would the shiftout library work to drive these things?(With modifications to the code to facilitate 64 bit, but looking over the code, I can't seem to find the part that specifies 8 bits. help?)

Note that I don't have my Arduino yet, Paypal's scheduled to go through June 2, then couple days for shipping

Thanks in advance to all, forums rock.
Except for when they're dead.
Which this one isn't
(Sorta)

So comments on how shiftout can be modded to facilitate the 32x2 shift register?

Just store the desired data in an 8 byte array and run the shiftout routine 8 times. That's the simplest way, if you don't want to write your own shiftout routine.