Cooling 3D printer with peltier module using marlin firmware

Hey guys.

I am researcher in ceramic 3D printing in Korea University, South Korea.
i am currently developping cooling system with PID control, mounted in my 3D printer.
i am using marlin firmware, but all PID control that i could find was PID temp control at 220~260C range.
i need temperature range from RT~-10C.
Is it possible to regulate temperature to minus degree celcius using marlin firmware?

if possible, it would be nice to know the guide to control peltier module in subzero degree using PID

thanks.

Also, there are some features that i need for my print:

1. i wish to control at subzero temp with precision of 0.25C
  2. i wish to control temperature with G code because i am currently cooling my peltier module with fan power :frowning:
    also, as what i have been doing is not PID control, my printing temperature always fluctuate with ambient temperature (e.g. if ambient temp = 23C -> peltier temp = 6C, ambient temp = 21C -> peltier temp = 2C, when driven at same fan power)

thanks in advance

Is there a Marlin forum where you could ask about this ?

Hello. thanks for the reply.

there exists a forum at RepRap forum - marlin, but i think that forum is kinda dead.
so i had to ask on this forum.

also, i have no idea to find another appropriate forum for this subject.

thanks!

Research more on how Peltier devices operate. You will need water cooled heat sinks to reach that temp.

Paul

I wonder what material you are printing at such low temperature, and how you prevent it from melting at ambient temperature later on?

Also consider that you will have to tackle ice on the cold side of the Peltier element.

DrDiettrich:
I wonder what material you are printing at such low temperature, and how you prevent it from melting at ambient temperature later on?

Also consider that you will have to tackle ice on the cold side of the Peltier element.

hello. thanks for reply.

i am currently working on ceramic 3d printing, with material which shows a unique property when cooled.
after printing, melting in RT dosen't matter.

just making a PID system with peltier module is enough for me.
i am new to this stuff, and never learned this stuff before, so it is kinda hard for me :frowning:

and also, as i mentioned, i would use peltier element for temperature range of RT~-10C, but actually i mainly cool down to about 5C, where dews are not formed. -10C is a lower bound of temperature range.

thanks.
Pete

Paul_KD7HB:
Research more on how Peltier devices operate. You will need water cooled heat sinks to reach that temp.

Paul

hello. thanks for reply.

for my experience, i agree that obtaining -10C needs water cooled heat sinks, but obtaining about 0~5C is enough for 12V brushless fan and a heat sink which are attached to peltier module.

i just need PID system for controlling my printing temperature.

thanks.
Pete

peter_kim:
hello. thanks for reply.

for my experience, i agree that obtaining -10C needs water cooled heat sinks, but obtaining about 0~5C is enough for 12V brushless fan and a heat sink which are attached to peltier module.

i just need PID system for controlling my printing temperature.

thanks.
Pete

As I recall, the Peltier can reduce temperature by 40C below ambient temp. That is the limit. Also, as your material piles up, the heat flow through the material will mean the cooling will have to get colder as you add material. Perhaps conductive cooling will be a problem.

Paul

Temperature control typically uses 2 state (on/off) controller, because the large time constants can not be handled neatly by a PID controller.