Correct parts for the project?

Hi guys,

I want to do a custom stand for a figure and use Arduino Nano to do the following:

• WS2811B RGB LEDs for the slow color wave;
  • On button press - play random sounds/phrases from the SD card.

I am new to Arduino, I have only tried a couple of sketches (controlling the LED with a button/pot) and I need help with getting the right parts. So far I have listed the following:

• Arduino Nano (owned)
  • This WS2811B RGB LED. I decided to go with separate LEDs because they are cheaper.
  • A couple of these buttons (1 for on/off and 1 for triggering sound playback)
  • MP3 player module.
  • Small 2x2W speakers
  • As I understand, the speakers require an amp, so I hope this one is okay. I could also setup correct volume level and generally put a pot somewhere behind the stand.
  • For the power supply I could use a 5V phone charger, right? Can I power the Arduino Nano through its USB input?

Please advise, whether the parts I chose would be okay for my build and whether it is possible to do all these things on 1 Arduino Nano board.

1. OK
  2. It may be possible to drive that LCD matrix but I didn't see what protocol you or it uses. What slow wave are you referring to?
  3. Buttons OK
  4. That's a good deal for a card reader and a MP3 decoder. I assume it has analog out you route thru amp and speakers. If you would use a PWM out from the Uno itself then you need to reduce voltage but you're okay going from the module to amp.
  5. Nice amp. The one's I get don't have gain control, not even a pin for it.
  6. Yes. All parts run on 5V.

Re:7 - your problem is the current for the LEDs. How long a string are you using? Assume 50-60mA per LED (for the case when they're all on max brightness). You can run a 50-light string, just barely, from a 2.1A USB phone charger.

Power must be injected every 50-100 LEDs, not just at the ends, too.

Can I power the Arduino Nano through its USB input?

You can but the polyfuse on the USB input will restrict the current to about 500mA.

mattlogue:
2) It may be possible to drive that LCD matrix but I didn't see what protocol you or it uses. What slow wave are you referring to?

I meant something like this:

mattlogue:
4) That's a good deal for a card reader and a MP3 decoder. I assume it has analog out you route thru amp and speakers. If you would use a PWM out from the Uno itself then you need to reduce voltage but you're okay going from the module to amp.

I want to use a Nano. Will it do?

DrAzzy:
Re:7 - your problem is the current for the LEDs. How long a string are you using? Assume 50-60mA per LED (for the case when they're all on max brightness). You can run a 50-light string, just barely, from a 2.1A USB phone charger.

Power must be injected every 50-100 LEDs, not just at the ends, too.

I think there will be no more than 20 LEDs.

Grumpy_Mike:
You can but the polyfuse on the USB input will restrict the current to about 500mA.

Then I should hook the power through 5V pin on the Nano? Not the USB?

Then I should hook the power through 5V pin on the Nano? Not the USB?

Yes.

I want to use a Nano. Will it do?

Yes