correct serial port does not appear

Hi,

I'm new to electronics and I've just bought the Franzis tutorial kit which includes an Arduino NG with ATmega 168. I'm using mac OS X 10.7.5

I have followed the getting started guide on this site and I have installed the FTDI drivers.

When I connect the Arduino and click on serial port there is no sign of a USB port however the board is still lighting up.

Please could someone help me it would be much appreciated.

:)

after your installation, did you restart the arduino IDE software on your mac?

if not, try that. then open it and connect your new toy.

Hi Bulldog Lowell,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I restarted my mac and then tried the IDE software however it still would not work.

hmmm.

nothing like this when you look at your serial port options?

if not, perhaps you need to reinstall the IDE software…

All that appears is Bluetooth- modem and Bluetooth-PDA- sync

I tried re-installing the IDE software but it still does not work

mack1991: I tried re-installing the IDE software but it still does not work

Are you certain it is an FTDI chip?

It says FTDI on it and then has a bunch of smaller numbers on it underneath.

mack1991: It says FTDI on it and then has a bunch of smaller numbers on it underneath.

it may be your serial (USB) cable. do you have access to a PC to check?

I don't unfortunately. I did just buy the cable today so I presumed it would have been working properly.

The problem is with the Arduino software and it has been going on for years, somebody that knows the code should fix this.

I had the same problem. Even though everything worked fine with a Lenardo, the UNO would not show up in my available ports.

Thankfully I have an FTDI serial adapter handy, I plugged it in and it showed in the Arduino tools menu.
After I unplugged it and plugged the Arduino UNO, its serial port showed there as well.

I believe the software is not initializing the FTDI drivers correctly or the board is not being recognized until the drivers are up and running (having been initialized by different hardware).

Did you every find a solution for this issue? I’m having the same problem on my Macbook Pro (OSX 10.9.4, Arduino IDE 1.0.5). No USB serial port to be found.