Could not find boards.txt

I have just installed the 1.8.10 IDE in the hope of getting rid of this message from the 1.8.9 IDE but no success. I found an entry that suggested to delete a directory. I did that but the message persists. The group appears every time Board Manager is opened and again when it is closed.

Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino\bootloaders. Is it pre-1.5?
Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores. Is it pre-1.5?
Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants. Is it pre-1.5?

I have also tried fixing it by removing a board restarting the IDE and reinstalling it using Board Manager without success.

How to fix it? I'd like to fix it before I try adding a custom board.

Clean up instructions attached.

I only see that message when I run from a new portable install and doing board / lib updates directly after the install. Then for some reason I don’t see it again.
It can also occasionally appear if you do the updates too quickly without waiting for them to complete properly.

Am sure there are other reasons but that was mine.

Bob.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)

You installed something at C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino. What is it? Why did you do that?