could these problems be solved in libraries?

I found some code that is mostly written in functions. I want to retain that feature. unfortunately, there is some code that must be duplicated because of limitations of libraries. I would like to know if there are technical reasons why these were not implemented:

one function that must be duplicated is displaying similar information on two LCD displays:

lcd1.setCursor(0,0); remainder of function...
lcd2.setCursor(0,0); remainder of function...

is there a technical reason why nobody has implemented:

lcd(X).setCursor(0,0);?

on the same project, I could reduce SD card clutter if I could use the date in YRMODA format as the file name:

and log the sensor number and local time on the card. this would eliminate 9 characters per logged entry, and increase the number of files the SD card can store by 50 percent

is there a technical reason why we can't implement:

eventLog = SD.open( " += (variable) += ", FILE_WRITE );?

is there a technical reason why nobody has implemented:

lcd(X).setCursor(0,0);?

No, just use an array of LCD objects.

I could reduce SD card clutter if I could use the date in YRMODA format

What's stopping you?
Have you tried sprintf?

You can make an array of lcd objects.

It would make your call look like

lcd[n].setCursor(0, 0);

to refer to the nth one.

Make arrays the next thing you learn about C++.

a7

Because an array would work?

for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)
    {
        lcd[i].setCursor(0,0);
    }

EDIT: Late to the party

I could reduce SD card clutter if I could use the date in YRMODA format

What's stopping you?

I'm trying to automate the process. my project is a perimeter incursion monitor, what a "burglar alarm" should be, rather than what they are. if I was there everyday to change the filename, I would not need the perimeter incursion monitor

I'm dead in the water until the Megas arrive; there is only enough room in the RAM for the clock on the UNO. So I will get with the program on the arrays.

[quote author=Geek Emeritus link=msg=4047043 date=1549389347]
I'm trying to automate the process. my project is a perimeter incursion monitor, what a "burglar alarm" should be, rather than what they are. if I was there everyday to change the filename, I would not need the perimeter incursion monitor

[/quote]So, you need an RTC of some sort.