Countdown timer project

Hello, I am trying to build a project using Arduino UNO in order to show a countdown timer. The trick is it has to be activated by an accelerometer. When the accelerometer detects the movement, it sends the signal to the UNO and then the script is run to show the timer on a small LCD display. After the timer ends, if there's no other movement detected for 30seconds, it will shutoff to preserve battery life. I would like to have the system connected to a battery that has a life length of at least 6months in these working conditions. Unfortunately, I have little to no experience when it comes to this kind of stuff but I wanted to challenge myself, so I'm asking for any tips or recommendations that you might have regarding the components I should use and the project itself. Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

Break your project into separate sketches. First, get the LCD display to display "Hello World". Next add the countdown code and use a button on a GPIO pin to start it. Then add the timeout timer. Hint: millis()

You should find example programs to look to for inspiration.

Write some code, make some mistakes (we all do, even with thousands of sketches behind us), and when you're really stumped, post your code here and someone in the group will look at it.

The accelerometer will have to be powered the whole time to detect movement so that will determine the battery life. The mcu can switch itself and the display etc. off so as not to consume current when not needed, only being switched on when triggered by an interrupt from the accelerometer.

Edit:
If the final device (ie not the development device) is a Uno, then the scope for power savings is quite limited. For better power saving potential, look at a barebones ATMEGA328P design which is software compatible with the Uno.

The person looking at the diplay ought to be able to change the battory now and then. Why trouble with 6 months of battory life?

While you may imagine that you have provided useful information regarding your proposed project, it is actually quite insufficient and you actually need to provide an adequate description of the purpose of your device and the conditions in which it might be used.

Otherwise you are just as likely suffering the "XY problem". :roll_eyes: