Covid 19, nothing to fear

A friend was convinced Covid was nothing to fear, refused to get Covid vaccine.

Guess he is right, turns out he does not need to fear the virus as he died with a tube down his lungs, no more Covid to worry about for him ; 3 weeks in the hospital. . .

:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

I am more angry than anything.

His wife left behind unable to cope with anything.

I guess this removes the weeds from the population.

That is so sad. Then there is my youngest brother who firmly believes the vaccination is part of a conspiracy to control the American public.
There are always two ways to achieve "herd immunity". Vaccinate the herd or reduce the herd population.
Paul

Very sad that someone dies when it was maybe possible to not.

Sad that the vaccination has become a political concept. I know folks who won't get the vaccine because its all a government hoax AND won't / can't have a calm discussion about our respective viewpoint. In my mind it's very much like Religon.

Personally I like many don't like the mask. However in my mind I do a risk / reward analysis and decided the mask is a small price to pay even for a slight chance of avoiding Covid. I'm retired so keeping away from folks is easy and the amount of time I'm out and about is short enough the mask doesn't bother me.

Oh and those folks who claim forcing the mask is taking their rights from them, where were they when the law that you had to wear pants in public?

Another observation.... the general public is unable to deal with evolving information or information that only applies to some folks (and we don't know why). Thankfully being an engineer its a concept I'm comfortable with.

1 Like

Is your friend obese, diabetic, very old, heavy smoker, history of cardiovascular disease, has hypertension, etc to begin with? Would have pneumonia, bad case of flu, mild cardiac injury result in the same outcome?

Was not obese, normal health, 60ish, no smoke, liked wine but not too much, loved his car.

One thing for sure, all of us (90%) on this forum will be gone within 30 years.
But, we don’t need to hurry the process if we use sound judgment.

1 Like

I'm sure your implications are correct, some folks have be of marginal health or maybe just older. I'm on the old side and in very good health, however I don't get over things nearly as quickly as when I was younger.

I have a very logical way of looking at things.

• I know some folks who work in the hospital so I hear the local numbers go up and down.

• The government says I "must" get the shot ---- I don't care what they say

• Govt & media say if I don't get the shot I'll be at high risk of death ----- again I don't care what they say.

• From the information I gather I'll guess the shots have maybe a 50% chance of me not getting covid if exposed. And if I do get it it may be milder.

• I've not seen compelling evidence of a down side of getting the vaccine.

• I absolutely know that distancing, washing hands and wearing a mask will reduce the risk of getting covid.

My conclusion is:

• Get the vaccine
  • Wear a mask with out in the public
  • wash my hands often (we should have been doing this all along)

I don't see what all the hoopla is about. This isn't a freedom issue, its common sense. And as for a government conspiracy ...give me a break.... Our government isn't capable of it and just how do you think any government could get the whole world to partake is such nonsense it absurd.

So people don't be like sheep, think for yourselves use logic not emotion. Think of the risk / reward.

Risk:

1. I might do what the government wants me to do
  2. Perhaps I could have a bad reaction.

Reward:

1. It might save my life.
2 Likes

I have two grown up sons, one is 40 and the other 37. The eldest got his jabs as soon as he could, the youngest thinks he doesn’t need them.

His reasoning is that he has been in a lorry cab for four hours with his friend who found out the next day he had it and he didn’t get it, and had daily tests for 30 days after that. Plus he is of the “don’t trust the government with anything they say” point of view. I suspect part of it is also that his brother has had them.

This worries me as he is in a job that brings him into contact with other people. But as I said he is no longer a child so I can’t take him by the ear to get vaccinated. I think it is the “immortal concept of youth”.
I suspect we all grow out of that with our first brush with mortality, normally some serious health issues.

Very true, having just turned 70 a few months back I can be sure of that. I reluctantly got a new soldering iron last year. My reluctance was that I would not get the 50 years use I got out of my previous one.

1 Like

I needed that !

2 Likes

I would ask you son if he ever played Russian roulette? And if on the first spin the cartridge wasn't in the firing chamber. Would he conclude he could continue to play and feel safe?

I will agree Covid might be like playing with a revolver with a 100 round capacity.... but still the concept is the same.

Oh and by the way, he might be right. However he may also be wrong. Again its the risk reward.

2 Likes

Doubt you can find anyone alive that can answer yes to that

Hi,
Its sad that there are so many stories from all over the world of anti-vaxxers fatally falling to Covid.

Some have made public videos showing and describing their condition before their deaths, unfortunately falling on deaf ears of some.

We here in Australia are beginning to make it mandatory for workers in some fields to have both if not one jab before entering into work.
We had the tradies profession closed down for 2 weeks to allow for this to happen and to isolate for some who tested positive.

Some are kicking up a storm over it becoming mandated, but logic says it needs to be done.
We will be living with Covid for a very very very long time, and I'm talking generations because of its cloning ability.

Unfortunately the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists may well be, due to evolution, become a threatened species.

Tom.... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

2 Likes

I don't fear Covid, I fear the other big C: Cancer. Most of my relatives who have died died of cancer, including my parents. I've had the Covid vaccination, seems daft not to, but I defend anyone who chooses not to. I don't think it is for me or the government or anyone else to tell people what they should or should not put in their bodies.

1 Like

Like drugs and alcohol for example and commit crimes as a result

I took the two doses of the vaccine, I'm waiting for the 3rd dose, I use a mask, I go out little alcohol and I clean everything that comes to my house.

I think I'm within 10%, after all I'm only 72 years old and I want to reach 120. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :+1: :+1:

Wanting is power.

RV mineirim

1 Like

You are probably correct :slight_smile: Especially since automatic pistols are the norm.

With the gun pointed at others.

...incomplete making it flawed.

Were he to become sick there is a possibility that he will be asymptomatic (not know he is sick; as high as 70%) and unwittingly transfer the virus to others. There is compelling evidence that those vaccinated are much less likely to transfer the virus to others. By getting vaccinated, he isn't just protecting himself he is also protecting everyone else.

Those "others" can obviously include those caring for very young children. Does your son want to be responsible for the death of a child?

1 Like

This is a tough one for me. I agree with your statement, however this discussion has been the topic of many philosophy classes.

Lets look at smoking. Is it proper to ban folks from public venues if they smoke. Ok so maybe its different because one can stop smoking (for a period of time).

What about bathing. Is one works in an office where cubicles are relatively compact. If a person chooses not to bath believing bathing is bad for the skin, but has a stench about them that does not allow others to work. What is the solution?

I quite agree but he is having daly tests, so he will know if he gets it.

1 Like