crazy posting timer

I just got the silliest error message when trying to reply to a post

step 1

step 2
so I waited a bit and tried again
goto step 1

looks like the timer is reset every time you try and post
madness I tell you, madness!!!!
and why 3 minutes between posts FFS?????

It’s a spam blocking attempt - stiil a work in progress by the administrators.

I got the same timer error. When I went back to the previous page and clicked ‘post’ again it gave me a “You already tried to post this” error. I did a copy and paste of the post and got the timer error again.

Instead of “try again later” it’s more like “start over at the beginning in at least three minutes”.

Something seemed off.

So I set a timer for 3 minutes. I waited an additional minute and tried to post. Still got the message.

The timer seems to reset on each attempt and then is actually longer than 180 seconds.

As CrossRoads says, it's an attempt to block spammers. There are discussions going on on the moderator list, trying to find a solution that balances the needs of legitimate users while thwarting spammers. Please be patient. (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm not.)

So I set a timer for 3 minutes.

Three Italian minutes?

This is infuriating - all the more so because the method is uses to block the post makes it impossible (in Firefox, at least) recover the post that it has tossed.

It also seems to me that the timer is reset by blocked posting attempts.

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

PaulS:

So I set a timer for 3 minutes.

Three Italian minutes?

I had a really good retort, but I forgot by the time the timer expired.

Have some patience. Use CTRL-A, CTRL-C before pressing Post to save any lengthy reply.
Nick Gammon has been coming up with good suggestions based on his past forum experience, let's see how it works out. This morning some robot blasted the forum with like 19 posts of fake passport spam messages in a minute or something quick, cleanup became a mess with regular deletion methods not working.

I just got stung by this, but with a twist. The "post" was a PM I was trying to send to another member alerting them about a post they might be interested in. Result: PM lost, had to wait, then compose it again (thankfully it wasn't too lengthy.)

Patience my ass. This is just poor design.

What web browser are you guys using?

Hitting back on Chrome lets me recover my post easily.

Firefox for me.

Interesting, but unfortunately I don't do Chrome. I'm finding it harder everyday to keep the Google proctoscope out of my life as it is.

CrossRoads:
This morning some robot blasted the forum with like 19 posts of fake passport spam messages in a minute or something quick, cleanup became a mess with regular deletion methods not working.

That would justify rate-limiting or requiring moderation of initial posts from new members but doesn't justify such an intrusive restriction over real members.

CrossRoads:
cleanup became a mess with regular deletion methods not working.

Sounds like another bug. How can “regular deletion methods” not work? Kryptonite enhanced spam?

How can "regular deletion methods" not work? Kryptonite enhanced spam?

The same way a lot of stuff got broken on the forum upgrade. More effort has been spent getting the user-side of the forum working again than has been spent getting the moderator side of it back in order.