Creating a Component Video, IR controlled switch?

I would like to make a component switch which could select from multiple inputs to switch to one single output. I would like to do this with a remote control. Also possibly toggle up from a lower power mode, when I hit a power button. Incorporate LED's indicating which input is on....

Would this be possible with an Arduino, possibly prototyping on a development board, and then burning an AVR later?

Thanks in advance for any help or links.

Maybe someone could possibly tell me what the difference between my thoughts and this article would be.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how-to-make-a-solid-state-a-v-switcher/2#comments

The difference would be you would be using an IR receiver on the arduino. Then your arduino would connect the bus switch and act as the buttons on the box.

BTW, Component video is the one with the Re, Green ,and Blue connectors. Composite is the one that uses the Yellow, Red, and White connectors.

BTW, Component video is the one with the Re, Green ,and Blue connectors. Composite is the one that uses the Yellow, Red, and White connectors.

Well, actually Mike, composite video is only the yellow RCA connector; the red and white connectors are right and left audio, respectively (just got done hooking up a new LCD TV - on a break right now!).

topho, you're going to need however many of those component switch ICs as you have inputs (those chips are pretty nifty!), of course, but they're probably not too expensive, then your Arduino would select the enable lines via the digital outputs, of course.

Now, something else: are you just trying to make a cheap remote controlled switch, or is the Arduino there to allow (for instance) a computer connected via the USB serial port to switch the inputs, too (say, for a computer-controlled CCTV camera switcher)? Because if your goal is -only- a cheap switch (well, cheaper than you may be able to buy), then using an Arduino for the remote-control conversion is a kinda pricey way to go about doing it.

If your goal, though, is to have the Arduino do the switching based on external inputs (say a sensor, or commands from USB), then this is a perfect way to do it (and if you can use EagleCAD, it would be an awesome Arduino-based product that people would probably buy, especially if it were in kit form).

Good luck, and don't forget to let us see the results! :)

I'm a relative rookie here, but I'm assuming that if you have the right IR codes you could use relays or transistors to get the job done? Standard RCA cables are pretty simple. You could set up a relay bank (each with its own little LED) and depending on the IR code that your Arduino reads, it throws the appropriate relay, allowing the signal through to your end device. However, it would take several relays per device (one per cable, unless you're using multiple throw relays). But again, I'm a rookie.

soup:

Yes, you could use relays - you would only need a single IR remote receiver module (not one per set of relays) to control it, plus the code sequences, etc.

If you used relays, it would probably be best to use 4PDT relays (one line per connector, plus common signal ground), and keep all connections to the I/O jacks as close and short as possible to the relays (plus incorporate ground planes, etc on the board if using a PCB) to keep noise and crosstalk in the signals to a minimum (this is a good idea regardless of whether you are using ICs or relays to switch).

If you couldn't find 4PDT relays, two DPDT relays could work, too (plus you can find smaller 5V DIP versions if space is a concern).

Why not use an IC made for composite video switching, like:

http://focus.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/parametricsearch.tsp?family=analog&familyId=703&uiTemplateId=NODE_STRY_PGE_T

i've tried this one and it works like a charm. http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tl52055.html

a

Wow, that TI parts needs a lot of external components. 75 ohm terminations, 10uF decoupling caps in & out, plus power supply decoupling. And thats just switching between 2 input sources.