Creating a device with two passthrough landline telephone connection

Hi all,

I am in the process of planning and designing a device, which is actually two devices, a base station, and a small pendant (which will be larger than I would like during prototyping).

The base station will have a temp and humidity sensor, a GSM & GPS module, along with a few other things I haven't decided upon yet.

The pendant will have a way of communicating with the base station (yet to be decided, because of the distances potentially involved), a flame sensor, a shock sensor, and a few other little bits.

One thing which has been suggested, on the base station, however, is to have the system connect up to the landline network (using a passthrough, so that there isn't a dedicated socket required), to call out and play a recorded message. There may be several different messages which may be played, so I guess a micro-SD card will need to be added in at some point, potentially using a joint ethernet and micro SD card shield.

So, would it be possible to do the passthrough using the telephone system? If so, what would I need to get it done? I've seen there may be some complications regarding voltage, and things like that.

Thanks

C.

Before you get too far with your design, review "fcc rules part 68".

Paul

ukitconsultant: So, would it be possible to do the passthrough using the telephone system?

If so, what would I need to get it done? I've seen there may be some complications regarding voltage, and things like that.

Sure its possible, and yes there are issues with high voltages.

But the major obstacle is that your 'device' needs BABT approval, but given your login name, ukitconsultant, no doubt you realised that already.