Creating a GUI to control a Skinner Box

Hey everyone, First of all, this is my first post in this forum (to be honest, in any forum) and I'm not exactly fluent in english, so I'm sorry in advance for any kind of mistake that I may make. I am trying to creat a Skinner Box that will be controlled by a arduino (Short explanation of what is a Skinner Box: A box in which you put an animal and give it multiple stimuli and also collect and study it's reactions. The one I'm trying to build will be made for rats). Yes I know that there are some projects of this kind of thing here and even in instructables, but the one I'm trying to make differ from that in some aspects. In this aspects I need help: The box will have a set of buzzers, leds, some kind of food dispenser and a sort of grill (is this the name of that thing made of a lot of thin metal bars in english?) that can give shocks to the rat - this will be the stimuli (and also outputs for the arduino) - and two levers that the rat can pull - which will be arduino's inputs. I "do not have doubts" about the electronic part of the project, but I'd like to make something that worked this way: The user set how long will last the session with the rat, set if the leds, the buzzers, and the mechanism that gives the rat food will be turned on from time to time, only when a button in the screen is clicked, everytime the rat pulls one, one specific or both levers (and how many times a lever must be pulled), if the shocking mechanism will be activated and this kind of things. And I'd like to collect how much time form the beginning of the session have passed until everytime the rat pulled any lever and create a graph of pulls versus time, and know the frequency of lever pulls. Although I have experience with Fortran (I had to learn it in college) and some experience with C++ I have zero experience in creating a GUI and I really need help to understand how to make one for an arduino. Also I'd like to ask if it's better to create a GUI that will be used in a computer or in a touch LCD display (and which is easier). Thank you all.

You might look into some of the visual programming languages that already exist. It seems like you want to have rules like "Give the rat food if it presses this button but not if it was pressed in the last 5 minutes." Those kinds of rules are very difficult to represent in a GUI and you end up writing a special-purpose language.

Look at the rules you can put on your email inbox, for one example. You could draw little arrows to send incoming messages to the appropriate box but most email systems I've seen end up with a list of text-based rules, and no arrows.

MorganS: You might look into some of the visual programming languages that already exist. It seems like you want to have rules like "Give the rat food if it presses this button but not if it was pressed in the last 5 minutes." Those kinds of rules are very difficult to represent in a GUI and you end up writing a special-purpose language.

Look at the rules you can put on your email inbox, for one example. You could draw little arrows to send incoming messages to the appropriate box but most email systems I've seen end up with a list of text-based rules, and no arrows.

1 - Could you suggest me one of those visual languages? 2 - I think that a lot of stuff could be asked to the user in text based forms, but some things as: time passed since the session begun, graph of pulls versus time, buttons which the user could click to activate a light or buzzer must be graphic. And also, the texts should be in a good font and this kind of thing. Is this way too hard to do?