Creating a ultrasonic transducer array and controlling with Arduino

Hi All I would like to create an array of ultrasonic transmitters alone with arduino and control it for a narrow beam for tactile display .Can you please let me know how I can do the same .The standard HC-SR04 comes with transmitter and listener and I am interested in creating an array of transducers similar to this example http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/ultrasonic-tactile-haptic-interaction-holodeck-2.jpg

How can I create and control the same from arduino

Thanks ram

I understand you only want to transmit.

An Ultrasonic transducer is just a piezo speaker. Connect them all in parallel, and drive them with the resonant frequency of the transducers (40Khz?). You could start with a NE555 and a 12volt supply. If that works, add a power buffer and a transformer to increase the drive voltage. Leo..

P.S. Normal 1" piezos I experimented with had a different phase, depending on how the piezo was glued on in the factory. You don't want half of them pushing, while the other half is pulling. Don't know about ultrasonic ones. You might have to find a way to measure them. Leo..

I can't find any good references for what a "linear phase beam" is. Can you explain in more detail?

@johnwasser This technique is used in speakers, aerials, etc. to create a narrower beam. Like the vertical array speakers used in churches/conference rooms etc. The wavelength of 40Khz is only 8.5mm. Two signals with 4.25mm travel difference cancel each other out. Theoretically, there is also a 6db gain with every doubling of drivers. Leo..

1 degree of phase shift @40kHz equals approximately 1 clock cycle on an AVR arduino. So something can be done but that would require very clever programming and making good use of the hardware. A much better approach would be usin a teensy 3.1 or other arm bases arduino

Wawa: @johnwasser This technique is used in speakers, aerials, etc. to create a narrower beam.

Google found almost no uses of the phrase "linear phase beam". Is this design usually known by a different name?

"Linear phase beam" is a nonsensical phrase. Phased arrays of transducers or antennas are used in various ways for beamforming, and this is presumably what the OP meant.

Are there any preassembled circuits with linear array of ultrasonic transducers available that i can experiment with arduino for tactile display using ultrasound ?

Probably not. It is not hard to make one.

@jremington Can you provide me instructions/tutorials or references on how I can build one ?

Making the transducer array is trivial. Buy a bunch of these and assemble them with the appropriate spacing on a suitable flat surface.

Controlling the array to form a beam is not simple. What is it that you actually want to do?

I want to assemble these transducers and create a narrow beam that can form shapes similar to tactile display as below http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/ultrasonic-tactile-haptic-interaction-holodeck-2.jpg

We want to know what you want to do with it. Feel/touch sensor? Or just pest control.

An array like that can be made on perf board/vero board. Leo..

ramg: I want to assemble these transducers and create a narrow beam that can form shapes similar to tactile display as below http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/ultrasonic-tactile-haptic-interaction-holodeck-2.jpg

That appears to be a 10x10 array of some kind of transducers connected to to something with a gazillion wires. Do you have the five driver boards that connect to the transducers? http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/ultrasonic-tactile-haptic-interaction-holodeck-0.jpg Each of those boards has FOUR power connectors. Sounds like you will need a lot of power.

Is there a simpler way to do the same without a gazillion wired connections and with one driver board ?

ramg: Is there a simpler way to do the same without a gazillion wired connections and with one driver board ?

No.

Basically you are saying, here is something that is cutting edge and has taken researchers years to make. Can you tell some one with no experience how to make one just like it, only simple and cheap? As I recall they used transducers in the MHz region, those that people have been point you to are simply not going to cut it both in frequency and power. Also a processor like an arduino is too limited to do this.