creating a wifly instance

I am working with the seeed studio wifly shield (uses a RN-171 module) and I am trying to modify a program that works with a cc3000 module to my shield, part of that requires creating an instance for my shield, I tried looking in the library for the proper functions but the only thing I could find was:

WiFly *WiFly::instance;

WiFly::WiFly(Stream *serial)
{
    instance = this;
    this->serial = serial;

setTimeout(DEFAULT_WAIT_RESPONSE_TIME);

command_mode = false;
    associated = false;
    error_count = 0;
}

can anyone who understands something about how to read libraries translate that into actual line I should use in the program?

can anyone who understands something about how to read libraries translate that into actual line I should use in the program?

If the WiFi shield is connected to pins 0 and 1 (NOT a good idea):

WiFly wifi(&Serial);

If the shield is connected to two other hardware serial pins, replace Serial with the appropriate hardware serial instance.

If the shield is connected to two other pins, create an instance of SofwareSerial, and use that instance name in place of Serial.

Keep in mind that a WiFi library that works with one hardware (the CC3000) is unlikely to work with other hardware (the RN-171).

Seeed Studio generally provides libraries (and examples) that work with their hardware. Why are you not using them?

I tried using the seeedstudio library and examples, but the ones that worked couldn't help me with my poject, and the ones that could help me with my project didn't work, so I'm trying a different way.
I'm not trying to use a cc3000 library, I'm trying to use the Arest library (specifically this project) and change any lines refering to the cc3000 and replace them with the equivalent functions from the seeedstudio library.
as for your explantion, if I need to call that instance later in the program, is there a way to do that?

if I need to call that instance later in the program, is there a way to do that?

You call functions. You use instances.

If the instance is global, you can use it anywhere.