Creating a workstation counter/timer

Hi,

I am wanting to create some counters/timers for a bunch of workstations at our manufacturing shop. The guys are all competing with each other over how many of each part they can make how fast, and I want to give them a button to push for each part they build with a display showing how many they have built, a timer showing how long the last part took, and an average time for all the parts they have built for that shift. It would be nice if they could login/logout of the system and if the total amount could be sent to our internal website over wifi for a "high score" and "average score" list.... Is this reasonable for an Arduino system? I plan to outsource the programming on Freelancer.com if it is a possible project. I would need some recommendations on which hardware to purchase as well......

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Travis Jordan

SparkyJordan:
The guys are all competing with each other over how many of each part they can make how fast,

Sounds like a boss trying to exploit his workers.
Or a boss who does not trust his workers.

…R

Sounds like a good way to motivate people. If they distrust it then it will get dropped within an hour. So trust and reliability are very important for this project.

Login/logout is probably going to be the hardest part of the project. This implies some kind of keyboard with employee numbers or passwords. User input like this will take up more than half of your program.

Uploading data to a web page is possible but you will need to do some database design on the back end to be able to record this. Start with manual updates - maybe the workers copy the numbers off the devices at the end of each shift onto a piece of paper. Make them responsible for this, not some manager looking over their shoulders. The manual system will help you design the database, to decide what needs to be recorded. Then you can make an automated system.

I understand the "slave driver" concern, but not the intent here.... Don't forget, all arcade games are really no different and you PAY money to do that whereas here you actually MAKE money.... everybody knows if we don't measure what we are doing, we don't know how much it costs and we won't stay in business. Think of it from the guys perspective, if Joe can build 20/hr, and Sam ACTS like his is really busy and only builds 10 an hour, shouldn't Joe make more money? Besides, it always breaks up the monotony if you have something to compete against for yourself.

Please don't hesitate to mention safeguards to help keep it from turning into a beast.... it is good to hear better ideas!!

Any more hardware/system thoughts would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis J.

Here is the link to the Freelancer post, I tried to make it a little more clear on there as well: Manufacturing Workstation Piece Counter and Time Tracker | Arduino | Electronics | Embedded Software | HTML | Microcontroller | Freelancer

Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

-Travis

I want to give them a button to push for each part they build with a display showing how many they have built, a timer showing how long the last part took, and an average time for all the parts they have built for that shift.

Start with a simple Arduino program with a push-button and using the Arduino Serial Monitor for the display.

Have a look at planning and implementing a program.

...R