Creating an interactive audio book??

Hello everyone,
I have absolutely no background in software/hardware engineering, so I'm reaching out for information from others who are more knowledgeable in this area than myself, and I thought this forum may prove to be a viable option.

I'd like to create an interactive audio book for my daughter.
Meaning, I'd like to create a book; where-in, you plug in headphones, and different wav files are triggered as you turn each page.
My question would be: is there a circuit board that would fit within the hardcover of the book? What would the board consist of? Am I even using the correct terminology right now?
Basically, what would I need to do to get the motion of turning a page in a book to trigger an audio clip that's listenable through a headphone jack?

Any insight would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Vincent

:o That sounds rather advanced for your 1st project. There are examples of simple MP3/WAV players. These all use an audio shield (an add-on board) and the Arduino only acts as a master-controller.

One of the smaller Arduino boards might fit into the thickness of a book's hardcover, but you'd have to check the dimensions. You'd also have to fit the audio board, a speaker, probably an amplifier board, and a battery.

Have you got any idea how you are going to detect the page-turning?

And, construction gets more difficult the smaller you try to make your project. Have you ever looked inside a cell phone or a digital watch? That kind of compact construction is almost impossible to do "at home". i.e. You can make a clock, but making a wristwatch is much-much more difficult...

Agreed, but I don't see that as a reason to not pursue it.

So something like this: Overview | Wave Shield | Adafruit Learning System ??

The page-turning detection is what I'm most at a loss for.

I'd rather discuss this under the hypothetical scenario that I do have the equipment to make a watch rather than a clock until I run into those issues. I'll keep that in mind though. I would like it to be relatively small.. just for aesthetic purposes I suppose.

Multiple copies of this thread deleted.

DO NOT CROSS-POST.
CROSS-POSTING WASTES TIME.

Having posted four copies of the question to different parts of the forum, you report my post to moderation, asking why that is time-wasting?

Wow.

Another report to moderator

I still don't understand why it's time wasting. People who are subscribed to one forum don't necessarily follow other forums. So posting in different ones increases the likeliness of receiving a helpful response from someone. Correct? It wasn't malicious

Did you read the "how to use this forum" post at the top of just about about every section of the forum?

No, I thought not.

Maybe you could spend some of your forum time-out reading it.

PostmodernCynic:
Agreed, but I don't see that as a reason to not pursue it.

Yes it is. Trying to sprint before you can stand is just silly.

Cross posting waste time because people who give up their time to help you have no idea if the point they want to make has been made before. If it has they waste their time.

In exactly the same way as when you reject perfectly good advice from DVDdoug. Why should any one be motivated to help you? You are probably not up to understanding any answer you are given if you show that sort of attitude.

The page-turning detection is what I’m most at a loss for.

You might want to work on that first. For example, if you can figure-out how to turn-on an LED when you turn the page. Or, I assume you need to turn-on a particular LED when you turn to a particular page… That wouldn’t require a programmable microcontroller, just some kind of sensor that can turn-on an LED. Once you can sense a page being turned, you can connect the microcontroller and program it to take the appropriate action (like play a sound file).

You may have to invent something… There are various optical sensors, but I don’t know of any that are paper-thin. Maybe you can make something like a barcode reader??? Or, maybe something like a puch-card where the more pages that are turned, the more holes are covered-up???

So something like this: Overview | Wave Shield | Adafruit Learning System ??

Yes.

Then read through the [u]Arduino Programming language Reference[/u] and work-through some of the basic [u]examples[/u] so you can understand how to program the Arduino and how to interface with it.

When it comes to programming, the two most important concepts are conditional execution (if-statements, etc.) and loops (doing something over-and-over, usually until some condition is met). Once you understand those concepts you can begin to understand how to develop a program that does what you want.

Agreed, but I don’t see that as a reason to not pursue it.

OK, but your daughter might be a year older by the time you learn enough electronics & programming and finish building this thing… :wink: My projects have been simpler than yours and they usually take me a few months (part-time). And, I have many years of electronics & programming experience… and an engineering degree… (But, I’m not an expert on the Arduino, nor am I an expert programmer.)