Creating the simplest wireless system

Hello all,

I am trying to create a very very simple wireless communication system. What I have in mind is say, having an arduino connected to the computer and sending a signal to turn on an LED, except that the breadboard and the LED receive the signal wirelessly. Now I don't want to use any modules, eventually I want to make this system more sophisticated and use AM and FM to send data to another arduino all without any modules that do all the job.

My question, silly as it might seem, is that can I actually use some wires as antennas on both sides, the arduino corresponding pin and the breadboard pin connected to the LED to do so? Is the signal going to just travel and reach the other wire like it does with TV antennas on the roof? I don't mind the range being as short as it gets, even 1 cm as long as the wires are not touching. I'd like to build up the system then.

Thank you.

MaxA:
My question, silly as it might seem, is that can I actually use some wires as antennas on both sides, the arduino corresponding pin and the breadboard pin connected to the LED to do so? Is the signal going to just travel and reach the other wire like it does with TV antennas on the roof?

Not even close. TV and radio signals use all those modules you say you don't want to use. Building your own transmitter and receiver pair is definitely way way way beyond the capabilities of a person who just asked that question you just asked.

Delta_G:
Not even close. TV and radio signals use all those modules you say you don't want to use. Building your own transmitter and receiver pair is definitely way way way beyond the capabilities of a person who just asked that question you just asked.

So, how do I build those modules with an arduino? :smiley:

MaxA:
So, how do I build those modules with an arduino? :smiley:

Do you mean how to connect one to an Arduino? Depending on what you get it will be different. There are great tutorials for most all of that stuff online.

You're not going to make something like that from an Arduino if that's what you're thinking. You could build one from discrete parts but that takes a lot more than anyone could ever try to explain on an internet forum. That's the kind of thing you gotta go to school for a few years to get. From the sound of the questions you're asking you've got a LOT of learning to do before you get anywhere close to doing that. It's a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial. The nRF24 modules cost about £2 each and one of them coupled to an Atmega 328 plus a few capacitors will give you a working system. Or use a Nano if you don't want to build a simple circuit board.

Another option, if the range is short, is Bluetooth. It is convenient if you want a wireless link between a PC and an Arduino as most PCs have Bluetooth.

...R

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Not quite an Arduino but mostly software compatible (and at least as capable) and with built-in WiFi is the NodeMCU board. That would be the simplest solution for a wireless connection without external components. The NodeMCU can drive an LED directly.

simple...
no modules....

you can create a pulse on a wire and have another device pick up that as an antenna.

however, there are so many simple modules you can buy to do just this.

the ESP8266, thawvmarle mentions, or rather a nodeMCU that has on board power and multiple pins can interface with the PC and your external device over WiFi. adds the ability to use a cell phone because it is on the WiFi.

All the ESP8266 chip does is to have the ability to create the pulse stream at the frequency of WiFi, and a power amp circuit to create the power to broadcast. lots of people on here could do that with parts, but hours and complexity, huge cost of many-many parts.... the ESP put it all into one chip.

you can get the modules to which Robin2 references, simple and lots of web help.

but it comes back to WHY you do not want to use modules ?
do you want to create your own device thinking it will cost less ?
to be unique ? (proprietary)

also, the frequency you chose will limit your power and broadcast range. and, it may interfere with other devices.