Crystal pinout and connections

So I am moving my project from my Uno to a circuit board, I am confused by the pinout of a Kyocera KHO-HC1-te 16 mhz . Am I correct in wiring pin 1 dot to pin 8 of the Amtel and pin2 to G and pin 3 to pin 9 of the Amtel, NC to pin 4 .

I believe that oscillator requires a 5v power supply.

Check that the blue wire is not touching the metal case.

Pinout would be the same as an I.C.

Since the crystal is not 16Mhz, the software will not work as intended.

What a wonderful name you have ! ! !

What you have is not a standard crystal as used on Arduinos, but a crystal oscillator module.
See the datasheet for details.

You connect this oscillator to GND and +5V and it generates a 16.257MHz output.

The output of this oscillator could be connected to to the XTAL1 pin of the ATMega328, however all the timing functions of will be inaccurate.

Arduinos are designed to work with a 16.00Mhz crystal - yours is 16.257MHz - about 1.6% higher.

JohnLincoln:
Arduinos are designed to work with a 16.00Mhz crystal - yours is 16.257MHz - about 1.6% higher.

To put this into context, if you used this as a real time clock it would gain about 22 minutes and 45 seconds per day.

MiniCore supports many frequencies, but 16.257MHz is not one of them.

That frequency will probably give you Serial download problems.

Larryfos:
So I am moving my project from my Uno to a circuit board,

Curious thing to do. :astonished:

UNOs are indeed, not practical for most projects, but makes more sense to use a Pro Mini as a “daughterboard”, mounted on your custom PCB.

larryd:

To be more precise, imagine this was a 14 pin DIL IC, with pins 2,3,4,5,6 and 9,10,11,12,13 all
missing, so that that pins 1,7,8,14 are left - sometimes a datasheet will actually use such
sparse numbering so as it matches standard PCB footprint.

From above pinouts always run anti-clockwise, note - this goes right back to the days of
thermionic valves, where the bases from below were numbered clockwise, which is how
you saw them when wiring up.

larryd:
I believe that oscillator requires a 5v power supply.

And indeed, the pinout matches a standard 7400 series IC with pin 14 to 5 V and pin 7 ground - given that only the four corner pins exist. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.