Current draw of WS2811 LED

Hi there,

I am trying to use WS2811 LED breakout board with my Arduino Uno. LED is working, but I can't figure out why it draws only a half of the current it supposed to and I guess it could be brighter if it did.

I use 5A limit power bench and at maximum one LED draws 32mA when white and at full brightness in FastLED and I can't figure out why.

I've started with a breadboard and simple jumper wires (setup with capacitor). Then I figured out that maybe jumper wires are to thin to support power so eventually I've connected LED directly to power bench with crocodile clip at pins of LED breakout (with common ground for it and Arduino).

I use this, but WS2811 version:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ws2812-breakout-hookup-guide/all

Am I missing something? Voltage on both ends of LED is around 4,9 V.
What could limit a current draw and how could I investigate it?
My power bench is measuring current draw, but I also double-checked it with a multimeter.

Thanks for your help!
Michał

gomezoo:
I am trying to use WS2811 LED breakout board with my Arduino Uno. LED is working, but I can't figure out why it draws only a half of the current it supposed to and I guess it could be brighter if it did.

gomezoo:
I use 5A limit power bench and at maximum one LED draws 32mA when white and at full brightness in FastLED and I can't figure out why.

It is probably not important, but I would like to see a Web reference to the actual breakout you are using.

And we want to see your code - posted according to the instructions.

gomezoo:
Then I figured out that maybe jumper wires are to thin to support power

At 32 mA - or even 100 mA - that is most unlikely with any of the common jumper wires. :astonished:

gomezoo:
I use this, but WS2811 version:
WS2812 Breakout Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com

That is not helping us. Sparkfun does not seem to have a WS2811 breakout, so what exactly is it?

Hi,

Paul__B:
And we want to see your code - posted according to the instructions.

This is my code:

#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 10
#define DATA_PIN 6

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
delay(2000);
FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, GRB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

void loop() {
for (int i = 0; i < NUM_LEDS; i++) {
leds[i] = CRGB::White;
}

FastLED.show();
delay(1000);
}

Is used it with WS2811, WS2812, WS2812B definition and experimented with different number of LEDs.
When I connect 10 of them it draws 342mA, and voltage on the last one is around 3,4V (on white).

Paul__B:
It is probably not important, but I would like to see a Web reference to the actual breakout you are using.
That is not helping us. Sparkfun does not seem to have a WS2811 breakout, so what exactly is it?

I bought it from the website in my country. It uses picture of Sparkfun breakout and list their references. I asked them and they told me that “it’s the same thing”. So as far I know it should be standard 5050 LED with WS2811 driver chip. All of them should have the same current draw.

Kind Regards
Michał

I do not see anywhere you called to change brightness using FastLED.setBrightness(0-255). Found good information by searching the forum for "FastLED brightness." Came across this post where someone wanted to change the brightness.

I bought it from the website in my country. It uses picture of Sparkfun breakout and list their references. I asked them and they told me that "it's the same thing". So as far I know it should be standard 5050 LED with WS2811 driver chip.

How can it be the same thing, they either don’t know what they are selling or are lying.

Can you post a picture of what you have. A WS2811 is normally used to address three LEDs at once.

Hi,

Finally I've identified it as:

And yes, I have used FASTLED brightness.

So it is not a WS2811 breakout board but a WS2812 LED on a board.

The lack of a large capacitor means the current will be very choppy and current meters do not deal well with this situation, well the cheap ones don’t but if you have paid in excess of $300 then it would.

It’s probably normal. My 2 meter ws2812b at max brightness only pulls 1.5ish amp all on white when it should be closer to 7/8amp lol I don’t get it either lol