Current Logic Analyzer Choices...

... if you were to buy a good entry level logic analyzer, which would it be? So far, I am aware of two apparently good choices that come in sturdy enclosures and which offer cross-platform compatibility, i.e. the - Salae 16, offering up to 100MHz operation, a very refined UI, etc. - Bitscope BS10 The Salae appears to have a slightly nicer UI, but the bitscope also offers a waveform generator. Thoughts?

Constantin: ... if you were to buy a good entry level logic analyzer, which would it be? So far, I am aware of two apparently good choices that come in sturdy enclosures and which offer cross-platform compatibility, i.e. the - Salae 16, offering up to 100MHz operation, a very refined UI, etc. - Bitscope BS10 The Salae appears to have a slightly nicer UI, but the bitscope also offers a waveform generator. Thoughts?

There is another thread about this very topic, I don't remember exactly where. Search for Saleae or Logic, Logic 16, etc..

I looked those up... thanks. In the end, I went with something more obscure, the QuantAsylum QA100. Not cross-platform but 100MHz sampling rate, very nice ADC resolution (10bit), waveform generator, and 12-channel logic analyzer. I can see why RuggedCircuits would prefer a standalone oscilloscope, but one thing I am after is being able to have both signals on one screen to see what the analog inputs are doing and what the CPU is doing in response. The cost of this solution (~$350) is also a factor, the Salae logic analyzer 16 only does LA... though very pretty and well-thought out LA, for sure.

My point of comparison was adding up the cost of a Rigol DS1102E, Salae16, and a Waveform generator for similar functionality. 2x-3x the cost... Not a fair comparison, but the QA100 is offering a lot of capability for the money.

That QuantAsylum looks nice at first glance. Let us know how you find working with it.

Rob

I recently bought the Logic 16. I'm pretty happy with it, but it was pricy at $300. I looked at the bit scope and a few other devices that also do analog. None of them seemed to do it very well (from specs) and also I would have needed to buy an additional analog probe, which just piled on the cost.

Eventually I decided to hold off and buy a scope when I had a greater need for it, or when I could get a nice one on Ebay relatively cheap, or whatever.

So then, why Logic 16? Well, I like things that have an enclosure. It came with 16 probes, two 8 channel cable sets, and a relatively high sampling rate. It also has some buffering and some protection input. The Logic 8 has no buffering or protection and a lower sampling rate. On the plus side, Logic has a higher input impedance than Logic 16.

I probably could have gotten something comparable for a bit less. But Salele (I can never spell that) will take it back within 90 days if i don't like it, and they will support it, even if "support" means teaching me how to use a LA.

So far so good. Its getting well used.

Hi Skyjumper, If I had a bigger budget, buying 'separates' would have been the way to go. Sort of like stereo systems... But for now, the QA seems to offer a very nice package and the forums seem to be well-supported also.

I hope it works out well for you! Let us know how you lik it.

well how's it going with the 'scope?

Just got back from business travel. Scope was at home when I returned (Chinese New Year and all that).

Everything looks solid - nice solid metal case with a big warning re: the use of isolation transformers, good looking probes. My only 'ding' at this point is the use of a Mini CD for the software distribution. Luckily, my work computer has a tray-loading CD drive.

I'll report back when I have used it.

I'm sorry that's not good enough you can't go off swanning round the country when we're waiting for a progress report :drums fingers: :)

The software installed OK, the scope came up on screen as expected, then I had to rush home to take care of my daughter. Hope to have more news tomorrow.

However, the little I saw was promising.

I know this is late but maybe for other reading the thread…

I got the open logic sniffer which is open source hw built for SUMP. $50 for the board from Seeed ($70 from sparkfun). Probes were a few bucks more and I found a reasonable case to hold it for <10. 16 channels. The current incarnation claims capture rates up to 200 mhz. The java based client is ok though suffering through getting the right version of java on my machine was an exercise in patience.

Here’s the main page - http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/02/25/prototype-open-logic-sniffer-logic-analyzer-2/

I’ve had it a month and so far I’ve used it for some mundane stuff - debugging i2c, spi, lots timing stuff - it worked perfectly. Given that my all in cost is about $75, I am way happy with it.

Constantin: Just got back from business travel. Scope was at home when I returned (Chinese New Year and all that).

Everything looks solid - nice solid metal case with a big warning re: the use of isolation transformers, good looking probes. My only 'ding' at this point is the use of a Mini CD for the software distribution. Luckily, my work computer has a tray-loading CD drive.

I'll report back when I have used it.

Why use the CD - the up to date software should be downloadable...

Constantin: The software installed OK, the scope came up on screen as expected, then I had to rush home to take care of my daughter. Hope to have more news tomorrow.

However, the little I saw was promising.

hope your daughter is ok wasn't meaning to hassle you only jesting :)

MarkT: Why use the CD - the up to date software should be downloadable...

Correct, it is. And like most OEMs, they prefer you download it off their web-site. This is especially relevant re: QuantAsylum given that they have all sorts of hardware pins not currently in use that are slated for activation at some point in the future via software.

Today, I'll try to find the time to analyze the waveform generator.

mmcp42: wasn't meaning to hassle you only jesting :)

No worries. Activating the scope for the first time was happy, everything seems to be working. What I need to devise now is a working test.

If there are particular screenshots, etc. you're after, please let me know.