Current sensor

I have a hall effect current sensor ACS758 series that can measure a maximum of 200A.
I would like to measure a current of 300A using this sensor. Is it posibble to do so?

No

Weedpharma

Would it be possible if I use 2 of the sensors each rated 200A?

If you split the feed cable into two wires and feed the two sensors, it will work as long as the feed wires have the same R. Then add the currents read in each sensor to get the actual current.

Note that the feeds need to be equal or you will get more current through one sensor than the other.

Weedpharma

Ok thanks. I will try it out.

I hope you know what you're doing.
300A is a shipload of current.
It could weld things together and start a fire.

If things are already wired up, you could bypass some of the current through a smaller sensor (e.g. the ACS712-20).
The ratio of the cable thickness is roughly the ratio of the currents.
Leo..

Allegro has suggestions on how to do what you're asking.

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Design-Center/Technical-Documents/Hall-Effect-Sensor-IC-Publications/Current-Sensor-ICs-In-Current-Divider-Configurations.aspx

300Amp is car battery wire stuff.
Leo..

Yea. Initially I feared for my life because of the value of the current. Am doing a project on measuring the current draw of a car during engine cranking. The average car draws a current of 250A for 1 second during engine cranking. It is this current that I am interested in. I have on several occasions seen public service transport vehicle's personnel hold down the terminals of the battery as the driver cranks the engine.

dosi2012:
............ I have on several occasions seen public service transport vehicle's personnel hold down the terminals of the battery as the driver cranks the engine.

This is quite safe electrically as it is low voltage. It is dangerous as the battery always has the possibility of exploding.

Weedpharma

Could it also be safe by reason of the parallel connection of person holding the terminals?

Motor start current is not a job for a sensor soldered on a circuit board.
Google DC clamp meter.
Maybe you can find a DC!! clamp sensor.
Leo..

dosi2012:
Could it also be safe by reason of the parallel connection of person holding the terminals?

I don't understand what you mean.

Weedpharma

Well, I meant maybe the risk of shock is reduced because the current does not pass through the person holding the terminals because he is connected in parallel across the battery.
I have tested the 200A sensor by using a load that draws 100A and it worked well. I am hopping to increase the load 200A and thereafter to 300A.

Yea, there is a surface mount and a clamp one. I have the surface mount one at the moment.