Current Transformer

Hi

i need help with current transformer (PCB L01-6216 40 1.000:1) with burden resistor of 47 ohms, I am trying to get the voltage drop across my resistor supposing to be about 1.5V theoretical but test practically i get 250mV and less.

I placed my burden resistor across CT and try to measure across it, help am I doing the right way

Hi, What is the current through the primary? How do you know?

How are you measuring the voltage across the burden resistor?

How much current are you measuring?

Are you measuring the voltage with a multimeter or are you trying to measure AC with the Arduino? (The Arduino doesn't measure AC directly and some cheap multimeters are not accurate with low-voltage AC... Some meters have a diode or a bridge diode for measuring AC and you get the diode drop.)

The [u]datasheet[/u] I found doesn't show 47 Ohms but I assume you'd get about half of what they say for 100 Ohms.

terryking228: Hi, What is the current through the primary? How do you know?

How are you measuring the voltage across the burden resistor?

its about 16A , because i believe that south african house holds provide and I am just measuring across the resistor like wen you measure any other voltage

DVDdoug: How much current are you measuring?

Are you measuring the voltage with a multimeter or are you trying to measure AC with the Arduino? (The Arduino doesn't measure AC directly and some cheap multimeters are not accurate with low-voltage AC... Some meters have a diode or a bridge diode for measuring AC and you get the diode drop.)

The [u]datasheet[/u] I found doesn't show 47 Ohms but I assume you'd get about half of what they say for 100 Ohms.

I was actualy using norminal reistor to see how much i can get, i did use that 100 ohms but still i was using oscilloscope to measure it and i was not sure if m measuring right. I believe 16A goes through the primary source and what do you mean arduino doesnt measure AC direct , cause from what i know you can measure with arduino 0-5V from the analog input.

What load do you have on the primary? You won't get 16A unless you have the appropriate load connected. Also, this site says most plugs are 15A so your estimate of 16A may not be correct, particularly if you have a high impedance load on it. Also, do you have the current transformer encasing the active only or both the active and neutral? Photos of your setup might help people help you.

Arduino can only measure positive DC voltages via the analogue pins, not AC.

how would you convert to DC if you to read that by using your arduino or maybe using Voltage Transformer from 230 to 6V after volatge division endup with 3 V?I know my question is kinda not on point , its because I am not strong on electronics m just looking for help

https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/buildingblocks/how-to-build-an-arduino-energy-monitor

Hi,
You need to think about what you are measuring.

16A is the MAXIMUM rated on many 220 volt home circuit. It is NOT the current you are drawing now.

You need to measure the current in the primary with some external multimeter etc, so you know what the actual current is.

Make sure you are understanding voltage and current.