Custom Arduino Setup Assistant

Hello all,

I am making a project that uses WiFi and I wanted to make an easy setup assistant to configure the WiFi SSID and Password. I am using an Arduino MKR WiFi 1010, and I want to use USB and the communication protocol. However, I am kind of confused about how to get started. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help! :slight_smile:

I don’t know what you mean by “the communication protocol”.

Can you explain where you’re stuck? Arduino side? PC side?

In it’s simplest way, you can send SSID and password as e.g. <yourSSID,yourPassword> from Serial Monitor. You can read Robin’s updated Serial Input Basics to get ideas; the above suggestion is based on the use of example three in that thread.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wanted to make a setup assistant, like when you download a big software file or setup a new device. In this case I am stuck on both sides. What code will be needed on the computer (if any) and what libraries should I use to implement my ideas. I didn't want to use the Serial monitor, but I was thinking maybe a standalone setup application or something like that.

OK

Start with serial monitor and the format that I gave. Write the Arduino code so it can handle that and works correctly.

Next you can write a PC application in a language of your choice. For a gui, two text boxes and a button. When the button is clicked, send the data to the Arduino in the given format.

I mostly use C# for gui stuff under windows; no additional libraries needed.