Custom Boot Sequence

Hello all, I am new to the forum and I hope I am following the rules for this specific thread. If not, I apologize, if I could be directed to the correct place that would be wonderful. I am also slightly new to the electronics world, but I retain information quickly. So please take what I say with a grain of salt.

So this is my project;

I am trying to create a custom boot sequence for a PC. I would like to "turn on" different things in a certain order. In other words:

Flick Switch 1 ON = LED strips on
Flick Switch 2 ON = WaterCooling System 1 on
Flick Switch 3 ON = WaterCooling System 2 on
Flick Switch 4 ON = Power to Motherboard and other parts given; Light for sequence complete ON
Flick Switch 5 ON = PC Start Up
Press Switch 6 = PC Shut Down; would reset the sequence and need to repeat sequence in order to start PC
Press Switch 7 = PC Restart; without repeating above sequence (Switches 1-5)

Is this something the Adruino can handle or am I looking in the wrong place?

1 through 5 shouldn't be too difficult with an Arduino. They are used quite often for turning things on/off.

I'm not sure if it's even possible, let alone what would be involved, to power down a PC correctly with an Arduino. Or Restart one correctly.

Someone with more knowledge on the PC part will be along shortly, I'm sure.

It's easy to control a PC power remotely as long as it uses an ATX power supply. Just ground the PS-ON pin. (Pin 14 or Pin 16 depending on the connector).

pcpower.jpg

pcpower.jpg

Could be abit more specific in what you mean by that? I mean I know how to short the power supply for it to run, but how i would i go about doing what you said in order to have an external source dictate the proper time to turn on the PSU and therefor giving the power to the other components?

In other words, as a sequence map;

The "controller" or the thing that will allow the switches to do what they need will be assumed its the Arduino.

Id like it to be like this;

Switch 1 "ON"-> Arduino -> PSU -> Arduino
Switch 2 "ON" -> Arduino -> Motherboard -> Arduino
Switch 3 "ON" -> Arduino -> Fans -> Arduino

The end result being only certain components turn on instead of the typical entire bootup in a typical Tower PC

Instead of;

Switch 1 "ON" -> Arduino -> PSU -> Motherboard -> Fans -> etc.

To switch a PC on or off you do not attempt to control the power supply directly.

You can control the "soft" power button on the front panel which operates through the motherboard, having chosen the appropriate option in the operating system for how it responds to that button to turn off.

Of course, when it is off, operating the button always turns it on.